Very energetic boy

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Caza66

Very energetic boy

Post by Caza66 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:55 am

My newbie, paddy, is a real live wire. he constantly mounts all the other boys. At the moment, they are all tolerating him and will either box or roll over and kick him off. I am worried that he will push one of them too far one day and there will be an injury. We were told he was 4 months old, We have had him 4 weeks, done intros through carrier, critter 1 cage, furet plus and half SRS. They were all fine until last week I opened up the SRS to full size and this seems to be the trigger, unless it is coincidence. I have gone back down to half an SRS this week but it is still carrying on. Theodore who is now 9 months old seems to be wound up the most by him and there is serious chasing around the cage.

Do I go back a stage further, or back to the carrier?
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Caza66

Re: Very energetic boy ETA re-intro?

Post by Caza66 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:45 am

So the boys have been in the half an SRS for another week. And there is still mounting, boxing and squeeking. There are a couple of little scratches on a couple of them. after the initial intros went fine and the week after they went up to full SRS was the week that we lost Bobby and then the trouble started so I'm thinking that the hierarchy has changed and Bobby must have been an integral part of the group.

I am going to see how they go for a couple more days and if they are still the same, I am going back to the carrier, I'm off from Wednesday so I can observe. Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Caza66

Re: Very energetic boy

Post by Caza66 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 am

I've also noticed that Theo who is about 9 months old is also mounting a lot - hormones?

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:26 pm

It might just be because of them having to re-establish the hierarchy?
Jenny x
:girly: Elfine :dumbogirly: Ada
:rattyrainbow: Scout, Daisy, Meg, Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:25 pm

Paddy is coming up for 6 months old. He's still mounting all the boys and there is a lot of squeeking going on. He is causing a bit of upset and some of the other boys are retaliating and they in turn are chasing others around. There is no cuts, but monty has a few small scratches on his neck/back, although I cant guarantee its paddy causing it. Around 8.00 until 10.00 at night there is scuffling going on. Is it worth neutering paddy or give him a bit longer to see if her settles?

Return to “Behaviour”