Bullying bucks

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Shriggs

Bullying bucks

Post by Shriggs » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Not intentional alliteration there... But never mind!

We have 4 bucks, 2 entire and 2 neuters. (Both are sibling/littermate pairs). They live in a furet tower. No other changes recently or upsets. The neuters are around 18 mo to 2, the other two are about a year.

It would seem there had been a recent change in dynamic in the group and the two entire boys are bullying the biggest neutered boy. He's had a real personality change - he's never been brave or a big fan of being handled but was friendly with us. He's now very isolated from the group and spends a lot of time alone, and shying away from the others.

He's also been badly bitten on the rump and back of the neck.

Any ideas on how to improve the situation, please, thinking about limiting the cage down to one half? Or should I revert to carrier intros? We don't hear them fighting - this boy pre-neuter was the bully and liked to screeeeeeeech his little head off.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Bullying bucks

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:39 am

I would consider neutering the other two.

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Yeah, I thought that - although unfortunately I think the resolution has presented itself as we lost the top buck today (and I suspect the main aggressor) they are all 3 now curled up in bed together for the first time in days. :cry:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear that, but if the others will now settle, then I guess that's a silver lining.

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Hmm, so peace did not last and the younger intact male has become a bit of a bully. It's not constant fighting and quite often they are all happily curled up or playing together as a trio, however he is particularly singling out the larger white Buck.

Poor boy has been raked fair few times and is quite scabby ☹️ - not sure what to do. I'm wary of neutering the younger boy only because I'm not convinced he'd survive, he's got a persistent rattle and we think not a very strong heart. We've lost both his brothers with no indication of illness or injury.

Do I separate, foster him out or risk neutering him?

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm

No experience with bucks, but wondered if you've tried them in anything smaller than the Furet Tower to sort things out as that's a very large cage if their hierarchy is messy. I know some people have said cages can actually be too big for a group but again, not something I have any experience with.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Shriggs

Post by Shriggs » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Mayamy wrote:No experience with bucks, but wondered if you've tried them in anything smaller than the Furet Tower to sort things out as that's a very large cage if their hierarchy is messy. I know some people have said cages can actually be too big for a group but again, not something I have any experience with.
They are only in half of the tower, when it was 4 of them they did have the whole big but when we lost Pippin I blocked off the tube.

Return to “Behaviour”