Help needed with Ear Chewing

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Sianlynsey

Help needed with Ear Chewing

Post by Sianlynsey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:29 pm

I've been a lurker for quite a while, just picking up hints and tips for my beloved 3 ratties :)
But now I have a bit of problem.

I have 3 girls (Bellatrix, Luna and Voldemort) - they were bought and have lived together since last October. They're roughly 8/9 months old and we've had no issues with any of the girls before. About 2 weeks ago I noticed some scabbing on Luna's left ear. I've been keeping an eye on it, but it wasn't healing and then last week a couple of scabs turned up on her other ear too.

Voldemort is the culprit as she insists on chewing on Luna's ears. Luna seems a little "stiff" when Voldemort approaches, bracing for the next ear chewing and protests loudly when it does happen. As it's been a couple of weeks (Luna's ears aren't healing and looking scabbier/bloodier than ever) should I take some sort of action? Is there anything I can apply to her ears that could possibly help?

Do I need to be patient and wait it out as they seem to be having some sort of "alpha" tussle, or should I consider separating one of the rats to a different cage whilst I wait for Luna's ears to heal? Would anyone recommend having Voldemort spayed if she continues to draw blood?

Even as I type I can hear Luna's squeaks of protest and it breaks my heart :(

Any advice appreciated x

Edited for typos.

Return to “Behaviour”