Very very worried for lone boy

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Lucifer

Very very worried for lone boy

Post by Lucifer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 am

I have had rats since I was 13 (mow 33) and never had this issue before...
I have a male who just wont be introduced with other males or females... yep even had him done to try and get him to go in with other rats and no dice.
He is hyper aggressive and just attacks till he takes a chunk out and its not fair on other rats to keep trying as they always come off worse.
I have tried multiple adoptions only for them to fail miserably.
i have tried everything to get him to go in with anyone and then tried all of my four other boys but nothing will work with him.
I dont want him to be alone its not right.
He was a adoption himself returned to pets at home in a tiny hamster cage abused so maybe he is not all there I just don't know.
I am almost in tears writing this as I feel helpless with regards to this lovely boy who adores me but not other rats.
I want him to live a proper healthy rat life style with my other adorable social males but i also dont want them suffering from repeated attempts and injuries from this.
Tried introducing them in the bath, over a pea catching session, keeping the cages next door to each other, the vanilla drops, steam cleaning the cages and connecting them with a industric pipe and chicken wire, tried all the methods I know and he still wont go with them...
are some rats just destined to live alone?

Caza66

Re: Very very worried for lone boy

Post by Caza66 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:52 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think I have read of people who have had rats that can't be introduced to other rats but I think they are very few and far between. Have you tried the carrier method of introducing? Here is a link viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52. I have always used this (after a long unsuccessful intro) and found it always worked and has done for other people. Perhaps give them some time to calm down after their last intro and give this a go. Hopefully somebody else will be along shortly with more advice.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:25 am

I agree, if you haven't yet tried the carrier method then there's every chance that might work.

I once took in a buck who wouldn't introduce to my boys, nor (after neutering) to my girls, so I sourced another neutered buck and that intro was successful. Neither of them really knew how to be rats, so they learned together, and after a few months they were introduced to my girls without issue.

So if carrier method intros do fail, trying your boy with another neutered buck might still work. :luck:

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:38 pm

sadly I have tried both those methods and another neutured boy and no luck at all he is just hyper agressive towards other rats he adores me but wont even sniff another rat without attacking first.

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Have you tried giving him to someone else to be introduced? My mum had a lad much like you describe (except he was human aggressive as well) and when he came to mine he was absolutely fine. No idea what the difference was but he was clearly distressed by something at Mum's.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Sorry if you think me selfish for this but he loves me and I love him so the idea of giving him up is painful not to mention no one in my family keeps rats except me and I wouldnt trust anyone else with him.

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:52 pm

Unfortunately sometimes you have to do what is best for the rat, even if it's painful for us.

Would you not consider taking him to a friends to try intros and, if it works, bringing him home and seeing if he remains settled?
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Have you tried him with a doe?
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:25 pm

I am not giving him up none of my friends are into rats most of them have snakes and cats so really not a option, I have decided to buy my boys a huge cgae and try introducing him into the big cage with them since it will be utterly new and smell of no one, I also will wash all the rats so they to smell neutral and try that and let you know.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:02 am

I wouldn't wash them. I find messing about with their smells just confuses them and the bonded ones end up squabbling.

I had a lad who I just wouldn't accept company and would lash out as soon as he saw another rat, it was caused by fear and not aggresssion. He has gone to live with a friend and now has company. The way she sorted it was to carry him round the house on her with another rat. A few weeks of this with less of a reaction each time and she tried the carrier method if introductions and it worked.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Lucifer

ITS WORKING!!!!

Post by Lucifer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Right so got a new cage it is awesome!!!!
Nice big doors, easy to clean oh my god I am in love and so is Lucifer.... put him in with the other boys didnt wash just wiped them down with a cloth and added some vanilla and boom, he has been sniffing round exploring all the new toys and even let the other boys sniff him, its going well so far might stay up tonight and watch over them to make sure first night goes well, made some toys out of toilet rolls tubes treats and paper stuffed in that was fun, so was their pea dip, having chicken tomorrow so they get the legs but hoping it continues to go well... so far new cage is doing the trick!

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:09 am

Good luck, maybe a big change will distract him from his new companions! I hope the first night goes well :luck:
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

Return to “Behaviour”