Rats fighting??

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Jaydykes27

Rats fighting??

Post by Jaydykes27 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi guys

I've had my current rats for a few weeks, and since I've got them they've been wrestling a lot. I put this down to just wrestling as they're young males, but I'm starting to doubt if it's more serious than that. I think what's happening is that now their in a new home, whose in charge is up for debate again. The one who was originally submissive, seems to be the one causing the fight's, and almost picking on the other

First of all, they're always wrestling, the entire time they're awake, they don't play with any of their toys, they're just wrestling the entire time. They're's constant squeeking, sometimes hissing and theyre knocking over toys and their toilet and the food bowls wrecking the place.

It's usually one picking on the other, chasing him around, not leaving him alone, they have lots of places to hide, in a huge cage but one still won't leave the other alone. One of them is just trying to drink water or eat and the other is behind them trying to hump or box them.

I know that when they wrestle, they pin one to the ground and then groom them to signify that the game is over, but it never really does, when the original shyer one is pinned and groomed, he starts it again straight away.

So after being chased all around the cage, being annoyed when he's just trying to drink, he usually snaps and bites the other hard on the nose. There is usually really loud squeaking and hissing at the same time. I've seen them biting other parts of each other, like their armpits feeds and sometime their privates. I can't really check properly for wounds as their not very tame and barely let me hold them.

Sometime's they do sleep together, they've got two pods that they like to sleep in, it usually happens that one goes in and falls asleep, the other come in later, they then fight in that tiny pod, one pin's the other and then falls asleep on top of them, so I'm not sure it counts.

The loud squeaking seems to be getting a lot more frequent, and I'm really worried I'm going to wake up and find that one's seriously hurt the other. I'm not sure if this is normal, in a way I hope it isn't as I find the constant fighting and worrying they might have hurt each other very very stressful. I phoned the pet store I adopted them from, and they said unless they're seriously hurting each other, keep them together because they're sad alone, but I don't think it's any better to live with someone who won't stop fighting you. BTW I'm more than willing, if they're split up, to bond the remaining rat with others.

Thanks.

ElizabethW

Re: Rats fighting??

Post by ElizabethW » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 pm

I will leave the advice to more experienced members, but it might be helpful if you could let us know how old your rats are and what cage you have :)

ETA: I've just looked at your first post - am I right in thinking they're about 5 months?
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Jaydykes27

Post by Jaydykes27 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 pm

ElizabethW wrote:I will leave the advice to more experienced members, but it might be helpful if you could let us know how old your rats are and what cage you have :)

ETA: I've just looked at your first post - am I right in thinking they're about 5 months?
Yep they're about 5 months old, and Im not sure of the name of the cage, but it's 100cm x 70cm x 70cm, with three different levels and hammocks. They have some kind of place to hide on each level.

Not sure if this makes any difference, but they're in a room with other animals too ( a female rabbit, a female mouse) they can be moved if needed

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 am

I don't know what anyone else thinks, or if there's something less drastic you could do, but I've had a lot of success with neutering beforel with boys of that age

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer some easier solutions/ideas before it gets to that point, but I'd say neutering as a last resort is definitely something to think about.
Leah

Return to “Behaviour”