Introduction - too good to be true?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
HaleCry

Introduction - too good to be true?

Post by HaleCry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi guys.

Today I decided to introduce my 4 new boys to my 3 old boys. Old boys are about 16 months old, and new boys are about 5 months old.

First, I put a little bit of melted butter on all of them, and then put all of them on the bath on a towel. They just washed and didn't take much notice of each other. Then after about 40 minutes I bathed them all with baby shampoo to wash the butter off, but so they still smelled similar. They're now all in a cat carrier sleeping and have been in it for about 50 minutes. :P

There has been no squabbling or no pecking order established.. Is this normal? It seems too good to be true. I'm kind of waiting for a fight to break out. If they're like this now, is this it? Is this a good start? Or is it bad as they've not done anything yet? :?
I'm not too sure how to feel about this and whether I can stop worrying so much.
Mummy to seven gorgeous boys :D
- Bilbo, Samwise, Frodo, Baggins, Meriadoc, Pippin, Legolas

HaleCry

Re: Introduction - too good to be true?

Post by HaleCry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

They've been together for at least three hours now, and are still sleeping in the carrier. How long should I leave them together for? When should I separate them again?

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 pm

I wouldn't separate them at all necessarily if they've been intro'd now - not if you don't need to. Watch for things kicking off later in the day tho - I had one intro which started around lunchtime and was mostly quiet, but when they'd woken up a bit more in the evening, there were some squabbles. If they're in the cat carrier now, I would leave them there for a day or so yet before upsizing them to something bigger, but only split them if it gets serious - otherwise, constantly being introduced and separated is going to be more stressful for them. Fingers crossed it really is that easy - sometimes it is!
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks for you reply! If things keep going well then I won't split them up. I'll be taking the carrier up to my room tonight so I can listen out for any squabbling, but can I let them all out on my bed for a bit before bed so they can stretch their legs as the carrier is quite cramped? Or is that not a good idea?

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 pm

I would probably wait a bit longer before free ranging them at all, the boredom will encourage them to bond. I usually wait until they're at least half way through cage sizes before letting them out at all, but that's just me; other people will have different ways of doing things. When you do free range for the first time during an intro a sofa or bed is definitely a good place to start though.
It's easy to feel guilty I know with all those little pleading faces looking at you but you have to harden your heart :lol:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Okay, no free range time. I'll just ignore their little heads poking out at me lol. It's okay, I'd rather have a happy, bonded group of rats in the long and them be a bit bored than to ruin things.
Thanks for you help :)

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:56 pm

I know what it's like, we're in the middle of an intro ourselves and rats have a way of making you feel guilty :lol:
Hope things continue to do well :luck:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:53 am

Update

They've been together over night now (so for about 18 hours). There have been no fights and more or less no squabbles. They're all currently sleeping in the carriers. My question is, what's the next step? Do I leave them in the carrier for longer? Or put them in the bigger cage today? I have an SRS, should I only put them in half of it or just put them in the whole thing considering they're getting on so well?

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 am

Do you have a smaller cage you can use as the next step? Cat carrier to half an SRS is a big jump, and you don't want things to kick off by giving them such a large space so soon (bigger space=more to get territorial over.) The height can also be an issue early in an intro. A smaller lower cage would be a good next step (we normally go carrier, small hamster cage, large hamster cage, Furet, half SRS then full SRS) so we're gradually increasing their space....I don't know whether we're a bit OTT with all those stages but it seems to work for us.) There are other cages people here use for intros but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, maybe someone else will be able to tell you what they use :luck:

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:20 am

I go from cat carrier to critter to half an SRS before the full version. Every time I am tempted to upgrade them too fast and it causes tension - every time acape-wolf reminds me to slow down and not to be persuaded by little pleading faces.... :lol:

the other thing to think about is furniture - litter tray only at first, then ONE hammock if they are good. And only when they are sleeping in it all together can they have another.

so mean..... :lol:
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 am

I've got a small hamster cage which is a little bigger than the carrier but it has a platform, should I take that out?
Also, when I put them in half the srs should I take out that platform too?
I noticed a scratch on one of the younger ones face, should I be worried about this?

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 am

I would take platforms out at first, yes. Once they are comfortable around each other, they can have more spaces to get away from each other.

I wouldn't worry too much about a minor scratch, but just keep an eye on things. If it was going to get really nasty, it probably would have done by now!
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:30 am

Great!! Thank you so much for your help! Last question lol.. How long do I leave them in each change before upgrading them?

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 pm

Once you see that they are sleeping in a pile together and when awake aren't actively avoiding or on edge around each other, and sharing food etc ok (and not actively fighting, obviously!). There may be the odd squabble now and then but then there always is, even in a settled group. It sounds as if yours is going relatively smoothly, but don't be tempted to rush too much.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Helzie wrote:the other thing to think about is furniture - litter tray only at first, then ONE hammock if they are good. And only when they are sleeping in it all together can they have another.

so mean..... :lol:
I don't even give mine a litter tray at first :twisted:
Jenny x
:girly: Elfine :dumbogirly: Ada
:rattyrainbow: Scout, Daisy, Meg, Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Behaviour”