Rat biting ears of cage mate

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
MiaAndLily

Rat biting ears of cage mate

Post by MiaAndLily » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi, my rat Gigi has started biting Daisy's ears but only when they are in their cage. Outside of the cage they are fine, and when they both play with my mum's three rats they are completely fine too. I've had to split the cage up for a bit because Daisy's ears look very sore.
Gigi has a lump in front of her front leg (I've taken her to the vet and am taking her again in a couple of days to see if it's definitely a tumour, and if so we will see if surgery is possible and so on).
Any idea on how I can stop her biting her ears? I've tried putting vanilla on the both of them but it's done nothing.
Thanks.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Rat biting ears of cage mate

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:15 pm

It is possible that the lump (which sounds like a benign mammary tumour so should be easy to remove) is disturbing her hormone levels, and affecting the way she treats Daisy, in which case things should improve after the operation.

Alternatively if there are just the two of them, perhaps Daisy irritates her for some reason and they might be happier in a larger group - have you thought about introducing them to your mum's rats permanently? (That's assuming you live in the same house of course.)

Return to “Behaviour”