Biting ears!

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
min and artie

Biting ears!

Post by min and artie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi everyone!

One of my little ladies has taken a rather strange turn and has started biting our ears!

When she was very little (9 weeks) she bit my ear once as more of a test than a bite and after making a squeaking noise she hadn't done it again until now.

In the past three days I've had two very sore (and bloody) bites to the top of my ear and now she will try and bite mine whenever she sees them!

I was looking for some general advice on what could have caused the sudden change and possibly any tips to stop it as the squeaking doesn't work anymore!

Thanks!!
Artemis and Minerva :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Biting ears!

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:54 am

*ouch* :o

It could be that she's becoming more dominant as she matures - how is she in the cage? I would recommend being firm and assertive with her in all your interactions so that she understands and accepts you as her alpha. That means picking her up when you want to and not letting her object, tipping her when you are holding her so that her belly is uppermost (a 45 degree angle is fine), examining her all over without letting her wriggle off, etc.

In the meantime, don't let her near your ears! :luck:

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Naughty girl! Hope she grows out of it. :)
Willow & Skittle

44 past ratties, 16 boys, 28 girls

min and artie

Post by min and artie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:58 pm

cyber ratty wrote:*ouch* :o

It could be that she's becoming more dominant as she matures - how is she in the cage? I would recommend being firm and assertive with her in all your interactions so that she understands and accepts you as her alpha. That means picking her up when you want to and not letting her object, tipping her when you are holding her so that her belly is uppermost (a 45 degree angle is fine), examining her all over without letting her wriggle off, etc.

In the meantime, don't let her near your ears! :luck:
She's the least dominant of both of our girls but roams the cage very confidently regardless of that! We have tried the tipping but she will immediately take the huff and go right back to trying to get on my shoulder to my ears once we've told her off. I'll certainly keep at it and try to be a bit more assertive!

Definitely away from the ears from now on!! Thanks for the tips!!
Squirrel wrote:Naughty girl! Hope she grows out of it. :)
I really hope she does too! Feel so bad having to tell her off!
Artemis and Minerva :hearts:

Return to “Behaviour”