New owners need help....

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Helzie
Admin Aide

Re: New owners need help....

Post by Helzie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:46 pm

it's tricky to interpret biting behaviour unless you have some experience -what Squeakrat and I saw wasn't exploratory mouthing or grooming, but it wasn't lashing out suddenly in fear or viciousness either. It was assertive - grabbing a finger and slowly applying pressure, quite deliberately testing us and conveying displeasure and discomfort at the intrusion rather than instinctive terror or anger. Not malicious, just a reasoned response to an uncomfortable situation which wasn't entirely in their control. When we picked them up they screamed like they were being murdered in their beds, but, interestingly, didn't bite. Definitely sortable by firmly ignoring their protests and picking them up frequently to get used to it and showing nothing bad will happen - and nice things might!
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Good work :)
It can be a big scary world for ratties with only their instincts to guide them ^^
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:24 pm

yeah, you've kind of got to admire the bravery of the plucky little madam who coolly stood up to these hoomanbeasts invading her cage! :love:
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Return to “Behaviour”