Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Introducing two 8 week old boys to a nearly 2 year old male.
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 pm 

Hi All =)

So my Jarno lost his brother last week and I got 2 new boys in the hope of keeping him company.... They have all met briefly and it seems ok.

There is no aggression towards Jarno.... and Jarno tolerates the youngsters. The two boys fight between themselves in the introductions (no squeaking)

BUT the main thing I can see is they are so.... bouncy and fully of youthful energy and are all over Jarno (who is four times the size of them) I can see he doesnt like the amount of excitement and attention they give him.

Anyone have experience of this.... Will they calm down over time. Im thinking of a few minutes a day together until the novelty has worn off.. or will it?

Thank you =)

Post subject: Re: Introducing two 8 week old boys to a nearly 2 year old m
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 pm 

So sorry that you lost Jarno's brother and well done for sorting out company for Jarno so quickly.
The best and safest way to introduce rats is to use the carrier method, details are here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52

Once the rats are together in the carrier they are not separated again unless there is extreme aggression - letting them meet briefly for a few minutes a day then separating isn't usually a good idea as the rats can get confused and frustrated at not being able to suss each other out properly. We have used the carrier method for all our introductions and with patience it really does work very well :luck:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:11 pm 

Yeah =) .... His brother died unexpectedly..... no health problems. Jarno is the odd health problem rat.

Sounds like a plan =)

Im just worried Jarno will crush the babies xD he is obese (on a diet already) vets thinks it his gene as Im not a over feeder.

And I cant be with the cage at all times..... how long does this method tend to take?

Sorry for all the questions the last time I introduced new males to each other I just put them straight in the main cage and they all got on like family =)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:21 pm 

The idea with the carrier method is to increase space gradually as although it sounds contradictory a small space where the rats have to touch is actually safer when you are first introducing. The rats have no choice but to get to know each other, and there is no room for the chasing and running up the bars which can end in frustration and aggressive fights.

It's impossible to tell really how long the intro will take; it varies from group to group and you really do have to be patient and not rush things. Having said that, kittens are not usually seen as a threat by older bucks so hopefully it should be straightforward.

We usually have the carrier in our bedroom the first night, but hovering around them is a fault I've had to train myself out of as they can pick up on stress :oops: Now I make sure I'm within earshot for the first day or two and only intervene if someone is screaming blue murder, and then play it by ear as things progress.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 pm 

I dont have more than on day off at a time until the end of next week... Im out the house from between 4 to 9 hours. Shall I just do it? and hope for the best...

I can probably do it Wednesday after I get back from work as Im not out til Thursday evening. Fingers crossed they bond quick haha :smile: :dumbobaby: :dumbobaby:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I would allow at least three days for the introduction - moving through the carrier and small cage stages.

If you are concerned about the youngsters, does that mean they are quite small? Buck kittens are best introduced once they are big enough to defend themselves if necessary, I would normally recommend 9-10 weeks, so you might want to wait until the end of next week anyway.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:17 pm 

Both can fit inside a toilet roll tube (Not two rats at same time and except there butts :lol: )

Im told they are 8 weeks old and I have paper work detailing the parents... and there parents... and there parents... 3 generations.

They still have baby fur patches so could be possible they are a bit younger... but are wonderful boys. I can already see there personality coming through the nerves... they are going to be cheeky ones :lol: super smart too and amazingly friendly :hearts:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm 

Hi just an update... I want your opinions =)

I tried it today in a small cage.... nothing for them to fall off etc.

He (Jarno) has no interest in them and spent most his time trying to find a way out and escape.

The 2 younguns... spent the entire time jumping on his head.... grabbing his face.... compulsory crotch sniffing :shock:

Jarno was obviously unhappy... and wanted out. So back to square one. The 2 boys would also fight each other while he was in the cage (they do at night anyway - not full scale just dominance style)

Worth a second go? Or is Jarno going to be stubborn and not engage them other to push them away.... oh also I tried giving them all treats and they stole Jarno's.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:53 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I would wait another couple of weeks so they can grow a bit, they are too small for an intro yet. Are you feeding them daily fresh meals as well as their dry mix? They need lots of calories at this stage, this article should be helpful.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:53 pm 

Yeah.. Ive just spent 2 hours moving them around... the boys are in the taller cage and Jarno is back in the original cage he was first in (not so tall but more floor space - he prefers it)
Ill try again when they get older and hopefully less like to act like theyve just seen santa xD

The cages are side by side atm but he sits with his back to them xD

Oh I didnt know that but I tend to give my rats stuff anyway.... Ill cooked some eggs tomorrow =) Thank you =)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:46 pm 

I wouldn't put their cages next to each other; it can just wind them up if they can see and smell and hear each other but not interact properly. If you're short on space, at least put a sheet of cardboard or some other solid barrier between the cages.

Once the babies are old/big enough for intros, put them and Jarno into the small cage and do not separate them unless blood is being drawn. All the behaviour you describe sounds normal to me, and not grounds for separation. Jarno clearly doesn't like being trapped in a small cage with two hyperactive babies – who would? – but the only way they're going to learn to live together is by getting to know each other, and the carrier method is really good at making that happen. Just leave them to it unless things are actually getting violent; I try not to hover or interact too much with them for the first few days just because the more time they spend being distracted by me, the less time they spend resolving their differences amongst themselves.

Good luck! :luck:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:17 pm 

Poor Jarno. Hope it all goes well for them.

43 past ratties, 16 boys, 27 girls

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:42 pm 

I have the same situation at the moment, one old boy (Oskar, 2 years 3 months) and two excited youngsters (Alfredo & Zouma, about 6 months, don`t know their exact age as they are rescues). When they meet each other there is no aggression from both sides but especially Alfredo is so overexcited that he just walks all over Oskar, sniffs, grabs his face, even rolls him around (Oskar has weak hind legs) and just does not leave him alone. I know that Oskar is not enjoying this as he briefly niped at Alfredo yesterday, nothing bad, he was just annoyed.
I will try the small cage/carrier method the next days and see how they get on. I hope it works.

Would be interesting to know how you get on with your rats.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:12 pm 

Hi all,

Just an update and sadly it is not a good one.

Week before xmas Jarno's breathing was not good..... and he was lethargic. I took him to the vets where on the table he could moves his legs but it wasnt lifting and moving him. The vet said at his age (2 years) and with how poorly he was and unable otmove that PTS was best option.... so sadly my Jarno was PTS a week before xmas

:rattyrainbow: :rattyrainbow: He is with his brother now on :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 pm 

Sorry for your loss. Run free with your brother little man.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour