Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Chewing the Carpets!!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 pm 

I've started letting my lot have the whole of my room for free range after trying (and failing) to section off the part with their cage in. I'm fine with it, as they're really appreciating the leg room, but one of my boys has started getting absolutely obsessed with chewing the carpet. It's not horrific, as the carpet in my room is quite old anyway and the marks aren't hugely noticeable, but in one area he's managed to chew right to the floor. I live in rented accommodation, so its either I think of a solution or I can't get them out full stop :roll:

I've tried putting mats down on the bits that he takes a liking to, but he soon moves onto another area and starts again. Nothing keeps him occupied or distracted; I've tried putting nasty tasting stuff on the bits he chews, spraying him with water, providing treats and activities around the room - I'm at my wits end!

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do? I know its just what they do but obviously I can't let him wreck the room or I won't get my deposit back :?

Post subject: Re: Chewing the Carpets!!
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:02 pm 

Do you have a room without carpet that you can move free range time to like a bathroom or rat proof kitchen floor? I know how it feels when they get obsessed, I have a wax eater! Literally any candle he can find, scented or not, he will spring from the floor, onto the TV cabinet, onto the top shelf and across the sideboard in a flash if I forget to put the candles away before they come out. How big an area are you trying to cover? You can get that thick plastic matting stuff (the technical term) that you put under computer chairs so that they roll easily on carpet, maybe try getting a couple of those and cutting them into strips to put round the edge of the room if he is only chewing the edges of the carpet? Or even lining the edge of the room with paper? He may shred it and leave a mess but at least your carpets would get a break :lol:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 pm 

Thank you for your reply :) Unfortunately because I live in a shared house and some of my housemates aren't too keen on them, my room is the only one I can free range in at the moment. He's not really chewing the edges at all really, just random, specific patches. I think it's going to have to just be a process of elimination thing - my room has a big footprint so I can't really afford to cover the whole thing so I think all I can do is keep on covering the bits hes really going for? I was also thinking of maybe trying some sort of cardboard scratching mat? They're selling them in tiger at the moment, (sort of looks like this http://tinyurl.com/h2b6knc) I'm thinking if I spray it with something tasty like a dilute fruit juice or even just sugary water that might distract him. Although I don't want to have a whole new problem on my hands of him eating his weight in cardboard every night! :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:47 pm 

I picked on of those up for the cat for about £1 in Home Bargains a few months ago, the cat completely ignored it but the rats love it! I don't have to bribe any of mine to chew on it, they just have a nibble every time they chance upon it during free range but I would probably suggest sprinkling a small amount of their mix over it or some seeds rather than making the cardboard itself tasty, that way it will still get there attention (and hopefully distract them from the carpet) but they may just shred the cardboard to get the food out rather than eat the cardboard thinking that it is food. It can double up as a carpet saving measure and good behavioural enrichment :lol:

If you try it let us know if it works, I am sure you are not the only one who has had this problem :luck:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 pm 

My rabbit used to chew the wall in one corner. I used a water spray and he did eventually stop doing it, thank goodness. I agree that lots of alternative things to chew could help. Even old books that you are not bothered if they get customised.

43 past ratties, 16 boys, 27 girls

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour