Help needed with introductions please ASAP!

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Anne

Re: Help needed with introductions please ASAP!

Post by Anne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I totally agree with Cub's advice particularly the popping them in a carrier and going for a walk or drive etc. I have done it many a time. It won't hurt them being in a small carrier for a while. It all helps in the longer term. Good luck :)
: Anne :

hjanders

Post by hjanders » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Hello and thanks again for replies.
We seem to be making progress. Both later this morning and earlier this evening all the girls were huddled together and asleep in the cage. I have also seen them more like a pile of littlies and a pile of biggies but right next to each other. Definitely not at opposite ends of the cage.
Food sharing also seems to be fine and I also saw the dominant girl take her turn nicely with one of the babies at one of the water bottles!
I think a nice trip in a carrier would do us all good so we might give that a go tomorrow morning? Otherwise we will continue as we are for another day or two.
The humans feel happier with the situation this evening too :lol:
Popcorn, Me-Me, Nelle, Luna, Maggie and Tutsie
Never to be forgotten: Trixie, Paws, Tica, Doris and Bella ❤️

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Brill!

hjanders

Post by hjanders » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:34 am

Hooray! We are doing well. All the girls seem best of friends and are sleeping and eating happily together. Last night we added a flat hammock in the form of a small towel. I never knew 6 rats could be so excited about a towel :lol:

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Excellent! That sounds like good progress. :D Just remember to keep taking it slow and steady as you have been doing, even if they're on absolute best behaviour from here on.

If they still seem peaceful and well-bonded even with their new exciting towel – no fighting over it, no re-segregation into older/younger groups – then I'd say you can probably start giving them regular cuddles and playtime. Have short sessions in a restricted area at first – on a sofa or armchair, or even just in your arms/laps – and see how they go. :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

hjanders

Post by hjanders » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:59 pm

We are still going well with our introductions. The Carrier method seems to have worked a treat for us and I would thoroughly recommend it.

We now have the towel and a horizontal cargo net in the 'small' cage we fashioned from our Freddy 2. No fighting and always a big pile of sleepy rats who are more than happy to share food :) . We have even had them out in the small shower room together which is not a familiar place for the older girls. They had a great time running around playing, and interacting with us and each other.

We are thinking that maybe tomorrow we will transfer them into the top half of our SRS with limited 'furniture' and, as suggested, add things in slowly.

Happy humans and 6 happy rats :D

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Sounds like things are going well :) If you're really happy with how settled they are, moving to the half SRS is definitely an option, but if they're still in the "small" version of the Freddy 2, you could give them the entire Freddy and furnish that (limited/not enclosed) for them as another intermediate step if wanted.

It's quite possible they'll be fine straight into the half SRS as long as they're a settled group, but as new cage + more floor space + more height at the same time is quite a lot of changes I figured I'd mention it. If they're relaxed with each other during free range that's a good sign though - their interactions with each other are much better indicators of how things are going than simple checkpoints like "sleeping in a pile".
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:02 pm

I agree with Mayamy's suggestion to try the full Freddy 2 first if it's not too difficult to remove the false ceiling. They're in there anyway, so if it's not much trouble, then you may as well see how they cope with that before they have a change of cage. Half an SRS is 40% larger than a Freddy 2 as well, so it's an even greater increase in space.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

hjanders

Post by hjanders » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Hello! I thought I would post another update. It will probably be the last as things are going so well.

We put all 6 girls into the top half of our SRS after a week of being together in the carrier then the 'half' Freddy 2. We still only have 'open' furnishings but all is good. Very good! We are now regularly having them out to play together and sometimes in the groups of 3 (the biggies and the littlies). They are happy together and life is good :D .

Thank you to all for help and advice, and I fully recommend the carrier method of introduction with slow changes.

Helen

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Brilliant update. I'm so pleased. happy ratties :)

Return to “Behaviour”