Help - 2 boys one has bite on throat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Kymm

Help - 2 boys one has bite on throat

Post by Kymm » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi, I have 2 boys 4-5 months old, I got them at 8 weeks and they came from the same cage but I'm not convinced they're bothers. Anyway this morning I noticed the larger of the 2 had a scab on his shoulder, on closer inspection it was one large and a few smaller ones. The other one has no marks on him. Left them for 15 minutes and when I came back noticed blood on the big ones cheek, took him out and saw that he also has scabs on his throat that look quite nasty. Should I separate them? Am I panicking too soon? I don't want to come down one morning and find him with his throat bit through

Caza66

Re: Help - 2 boys one has bite on throat

Post by Caza66 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 am

Hi, it sounds like hormones are beginning to kick in. I wouldn't separate them unless it does get bad. If there is considerable fighting I would think about neutering the more aggressive rat but not until at least 6 months old so ask your vet if they have done neutering before. In the meantime you may have to go back to basics and keep them in a carrier for a day for them to 'get used' to each other again. Hopefully somebody else can agree/disagree with this course of action.
My current gang :hearts: Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Help - 2 boys one has bite on throat

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 am

Have you actually seen them fighting? It may be possible that the scabs are self inflicted if they have lice or a flare up of mites, in which case they should be treated with ivermectin - I believe pet shops sell it as 'beaphar spot on'.

Return to “Behaviour”