Hoarding Food

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Ems_b

Hoarding Food

Post by Ems_b » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Recently, my smaller rat Euan, has been taking a lot of food. He has been taking around 3-4 peices from my hand and food bowl, and putting it in his mouth and going into the plastic igloo. I had no idea what was going on, and kept finding the food bowl empty fairy soon. I keep putting food in, but was worried about letting either of them over-eat. I have just finished cleaning my rats cage, and under the plastic igloo was a large amount of food, which did give me and my mum a laugh. Euan had obviously been doing this and had been eating some of it, due to the fact he did eat his food in there. I presume this is just adolescent behaviour, since he is nearly a year old, but i just wanted to check.

Many thanks.
Mother of two boys who are Euan and Scabbers.
Love them to pieces.

[cub]

Re: Hoarding Food

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Caching food is not an abnormal rat behaviour, so I wouldn't worry about it. (Unless a rat that never used to do it has suddenly started, with no obvious cause. Then I would want to rule out anything untoward, same as with any other sudden change in behaviour.)

I would however recommend that you scatter feed, instead of using a food bowl: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... f=14&t=286
Not only is it more fun for the rats, but it also reduces over-eating, gives the rats more exercise, and can also reduce caching. :) Start with 15g of dry mix per rat per day, and see how the rats respond to that. If you're still finding piles of leftover food (either where it was scattered in the substrate, or in caching spots like the igloo) when it's about feeding time again, or the rats are steadily gaining weight, reduce the amount you give per day until the rats start to maintain weight and you're not finding leftover food all over the place. If the rats are losing weight, increase the amount you give per day. :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Ems_b

Re: Hoarding Food

Post by Ems_b » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the info and tips.
:D
Mother of two boys who are Euan and Scabbers.
Love them to pieces.

Return to “Behaviour”