Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Add another male?
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 pm 

I read that 3 males minimum is best for cage harmony. Though in the past I have had 2 males who got along fine who werent related.

So far my prev 2 boys squabbles here and there.... and now my current 2 (related) are doing the same and its causing flare ups of URI =/ I have them on meds atm.

Would adding a new boy to the mix sort out constant pecking order issues. Yet to draw blood on purpose and other than power grooming each other they sleep curled up together etc.

Just want your experience of this behaviour =) No problem for me to find a third brother for them.

Post subject: Re: Add another male?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

It's natural for pairs of rats to bicker - they have no chance to escape the other if they still want companionship. Rats are colony animals so will always feel happier in a group (i.e. 3 or more), they will develop a range of relationships and be able to have a change of company as and when they feel like it.

If you are saying you can source an actual sibling, then introductions may be fine, but otherwise I'd recommend getting a pair of kittens to introduce to your two once they reach 9 or 10 weeks and are big enough to defend themselves if necessary.

Whichever you do, use the carrier method to introduce them, and take the stages nice and slowly. :luck:

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hey, That sounds like a plan =) I'll keep an eye on them for now but I know these boys breeder (not personally - she gives her rats to an independent pet shop to sell or you can get direct off her. I have these boys lineage for 4 generations (main reason I went for them) So irritated that they seem to have URIs.... though the vet said clear lungs and strong hearts :hearts: with previous rats they think it was stress from the constant bickering, but one died unexpectedly before I could look into it.

Ill see how there health is after the course of Medication then look into the possibility of two kittens to bring in for them =) they are both under 6months at the moment btw

Thank you for the information =)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:23 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Rat_lover16 wrote:
... I know these boys breeder (not personally - she gives her rats to an independent pet shop to sell or you can get direct off her. I have these boys lineage for 4 generations (main reason I went for them) So irritated that they seem to have URIs....

There you have it in a nutshell - a breeder who lets a pet shop sell their rats and who isn't in direct contact with their new owners cannot keep proper track of problems such as URIs. They may not even know about any cases, and almost certainly won't know about all cases of illnesses, dates of death, and causes, and therefore won't be able to select against them to improve their line. Having the family tree in itself means very little I'm afraid. I'd advise going directly to a better breeder in future.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:51 pm 

Thatll teach me xD

I assumed as I had official paper work for them (naming there parents and parents parents) too that it was safe.... this pet shop interviews you before giving you any pet. Other than this mild case of URI they are alot better health wise than my previous two were... that place shut down and I think they sold me accidental litter with no history (I had just moved to a new country so didn't know breeders or how to connect - I do now)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour