Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: New rat
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 pm 

I've had a pair of female rats for nearly 4 years and a few weeks ago I had to have one put down, obviously I knew the rat I had left needed a buddy. I work in a busy tattoo shop and I put the word out that I was looking for a companion. A customer bought me in a little black dumbo female who had always lived alone I've named her Effie she was very skinny and VERY withdrawn. I left her in her cage alone for a couple of days then slowly introduced her to biddy they get on fine. After a week or so of living together I've noticed that Effie spends a lot of time alone curled up, will she get over this? Or is she mentally scared

Post subject: Re: New rat
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

She may be scared, or just not really aware of how nice it can be to cuddle up! :(

With your original rat being so old, I would recommend you look for a pair of kittens asap, and then introduce them to your current two. That way Effie won't be left on her own, which is the last thing you'd want given that she's only just learning about companions.

When you find them, or sooner if that's going to take a while, I would suggest you use the carrier method to help Effie bond properly - details are here. Go slowly, and keep them in the smallest space until you see Effie voluntarily cuddling up with the others, before moving up to the next size cage and do the same again.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour