Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Nippy mother
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 pm 

I got a mother and two of her daughters from a pet shop (yes I know bad but they would prob end up snake food- Id been watching them for a few weeks)

They didn't want to sell them to new rat owners as the mother (shockingly almost the same ages as her kids!!!!!!!! - not the pet shop that bred them) as the mother is biting..... though when I asked for there meaning on biting it turns out she isnt biting. She is griping your finger with her teeth... yes it hurts but no where near as bad as a true bite :shock:

I told them she isnt aggressive as she is test biting/nipping, they think she is protecting her babies still... and I think so too.... BUT

I would like to hear how others have dealt with this behaviour to stop it.... Im going to work on gaining her trust and her babies (both timid)

Post subject: Re: Nippy mother
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:35 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Maternal protective behaviour normally tails off when the babies open their eyes and start moving around, so I'd tackle her in the same way as any other rat that needs taming.

It's worth working on the babies by having them out without her though, so they can make their own minds up about you being okay rather than following their mum's lead.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 am 

Sounds good... I was going to do the other way round xD
Make mum trust me and then show her kids I am ok.

Can I double check but boggling.... is that happy and scared or only happy? I know bruxing can happen with both feelings.

Both daughters are very timid though over night seems to be letting her curiosity of me overtake the timid, all three squeak when i touch them but none have reacted with aggression so far. Just a lot of test nipping.

They also seem to all be suffering with URI but as I have had them less than 24 hours and the bedding has changed etc Ill keep and eye on it.... All active and eating/drinking.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I've never seen unhappy boggling - so that's a good sign. :luck:

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm 

Thats what I was thinking :D :D :D :D :D :D Good to see that even the most timid rat is boggling when I show them attention :hearts:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour