Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Adding a neutered buck to does?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

Hi everyone,

I currently have 3 10-month old intact does and am thinking of getting them a new cagemate. A friend of mine tells me that it would be possible to add a neutered buck to the group without incident, and a bit of research backs that up. I'd love to try that out to see how the sexes differ.

Does anyone have any experience of such an arrangement? Any advice on introductions etc is much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Adding a neutered buck to does?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 am 

Definitely an option. The boy will love having some girlies. I've had mixed groups with neutered males. Should be a relatively easy introduction but use the carrier method.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I agree, it's a nice dynamic - there may be some already neutered bucks in rescue, but otherwise I would look for a lone adult buck in rescue who you could have neutered (they often don't find homes because of being entire). Wait for 3 weeks after the op before introducing them. :luck:

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm 

Why hello there. 8-) There's an article on the carrier method here, in case you haven't found it yet: http://fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52

Not everyone starts in an open-ish neutral space by the way; I've only done 2 introductions so far, but both times all the rats have just been chucked straight into the carrier together. If you do find an already neutered boy who is sufficiently post-op, what you could do is bring your girls along when you pick him up, and start the introductions there. That's how I've done both of my intros, and I found it very reassuring to have a much more experienced rescuer/breeder overseeing things. Also, the journey there and unfamiliar environment put my girls on their back foot and they were therefore less inclined to throw their weight around. Things got more boisterous once we all got home and certain rats started trying to lay down the law, but by then they'd already gotten to know each other a bit, so it was more arguing than actual fighting.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour