Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Intros not going so well
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:05 am 

I have a group of 6 bucks, ages range from 2 yrs 2 m to 9m. I took on a lone boy yesterday who is 6 months old and has been on his own since they got him. They were all ok in the carrier for 30 mins then newbie, Dax, decided to assert himself. Most of my boys ignored him but Kevin, one of the 9 month old (who had also just begun to assert himself around the group) bog brushed and sidled upto Dax. This carried on and off throughout the night.

Dax now has 6 or 7 cuts on him and is absolutely petrified of Kevin, Kevin is fluffed up all the time.

I have separated Dax and put with one of the boys, who are both snuggled together.

I have never had bad intros, so could do with some advice. My thoughts are to get Kevin neutered and reintroduce in 2-3 weeks, keep Dax with paddy and Crowley but then keep free ranging paddy and Crowley with the rest of the boys.

I really don't feel comfortable going through intros in the carrier again.

Post subject: Re: Intros not going so well
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:03 pm 

Not as much experience as many here, but I would most likely do what you are doing if I was in your position :) We've had a couple of bad intros with our boys....They stand out more because after the many we've done now, they were the only two that weren't relatively straightforward. The first time around our new rescue buck Horace (who was being introduced to our group along with his brother) took against one of our older boys and caused quite a bit of bloodshed. We ended up separating him and his brother again and getting him neutered with the plan to reintroduce; we eventually decided to wait until the older boy he'd taken against had died as he'd become so frail but we did manage a fairly uneventful intro in the end and Horace ended up being the best alpha we've ever had.

The second time was when we fostered a lone rat off a family member. During intros he was exceptionally aggressive, even in our tiny hamster cage, and we had to separate after only an hour (he was another definite candidate for neutering but unfortunately it wasn't a decision that they agreed with and so they made other arrangements for him.)

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that instinct will often tell you when something isn't right. You get to know the difference between scrapping to settle the hierarchy and serious fighting where you actually need to call a halt, and if you feel uncomfortable at the thought of trying again there is probably a reason.
I don't know whether other people will think different, but in your shoes I would be doing the same as you're thinking :luck:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 pm 

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Yesterday I sat down and thought it through and agreed with what I was doing. He goes in tomorrow.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 pm 

Hope all goes well x

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:50 am 

Kevin's been done but I can't find out how long before I can start intros again. 2-3 weeks?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 am 

I found this thread I thought might be useful:

http://fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27886

Glad everything went well :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm 

Thanks. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour