Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice on new rats. Please help!!!
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 pm 

So I decided on purchasing two male Dumbo rats from a breeder. One is 7 weeks and the other is 6 weeks old. She told me when I get home to leave them for two hours then I can give them attention and get them out.
Well after the hour journey back I place them both in their cage and one was sneezing... long story short I had to take them out and replace the bedding with back 2 nature pellets.
It has now been over 24 hours and the rats will come over to investigate. But they both seem to stay in the corner and seem withdrawn.
What should I do?!? Please I need advice. Should I leave them longer to adjust? What do I do

Post subject: Re: Advice on new rats. Please help!!!
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum. There are a couple of things that are useful to do with newbies. First of all take all their houses and hidey holes out of their cage. Just leave open hammocks and ropes in there. I would also get them out of the cage, wear a dressing gown and sit on the sofa for 20 minutes with them. This helps them to get used to you and your smell and helps the, realise you're not scary.

It may take a little time so patience but don't be afraid of handling them. The more they get the better they become.

Just a point on substrate, the pellets can be expensive to use as a substrate but good for toilets. Most people use cardboard squares or strips which you can get from most horse/farm suppliers or fitch is another alternative.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Advice on new rats. Please help!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:31 am 

When I got my two naked ratties they spent the whole of the first week hiding from me. I spent every day talking to them sitting with my hand in the cage and put an old top in there with them so they would get used to my smell.

Now they are the two friendliest little rats ever they both live sitting on my shoulder grooming my hair. Just give it time and keep talking to them and letting them get used to you and they will come round. Also offering them soft treats on a spoon or your hand that they need to lick off will help as they have to stay near you to get the treats.

Good luck and don't give up as once they get used to you they will be amazing little pets

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour