Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Chewing my body???
 Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm 

My rat's been gnawing on me lately, specifically my nails, nose, and lips. This happens whether i just ate or not and whether I just bathed or not, so I don't think it's because I smell yummy. Maybe it's because he doesn't chew the wood I give him, and would rather shred his blankets apart. My nails are hard, so maybe he's trimming his teeth? That doesn't explain the lips and nose though... thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Chewing my body???
 Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:50 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Rats keep their teeth down by bruxxing (grinding their teeth together) so it's not to do with that - it sounds to me like he is just giving you a good groom! If it's unpleasant, then make a high pitched sharp 'eek' sound when he does it so he understands that you don't like it, and should stop, or be more gentle.

Definitely a good idea to stop him paying attention to your lips and nose though. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: Chewing my body???
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

Agreed it's probably just him being over-enthusiastic about grooming you. Rats use their teeth when grooming each other, and can sometimes get a bit carried away, and it's the same when they groom their humans. It's why a rat will sometimes squeak in protest at another rat grooming them, even if the rat being groomed specifically requested the grooming to begin with: a little bit of teeth is fine but not too much. :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour