Rat Introductions making me nervous!

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Samana

Re: Rat Introductions making me nervous!

Post by Samana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

I think I might get their nails clipped. I think in going to give it a bit of a break. There is no aggression coming from the two hairy ratties but my naked just seem so scared and that causes fights as they keep pushing the other rats away constantly.

All a rat has to do is go near them and they are squeaking like anything. I wish there were rat trainers like dog trainers as I am far too nervy for this business!!!

Samana

Post by Samana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Also after looking at one of them today he looks like he may have a small bite to the foot like the one in the link. Not sure when that happened. Going to go back to putting them in the carrier tomorrow, do you think that will be ok if one had a bite?

Samana

Post by Samana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:31 pm

This is a picture of the bite mark on the foot. Which I honestly have no idea how it happened as he spent most of his time hiding on me

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Samana wrote:Also after looking at one of them today he looks like he may have a small bite to the foot like the one in the link. Not sure when that happened. Going to go back to putting them in the carrier tomorrow, do you think that will be ok if one had a bite?
When you say you are going to put them back in the carrier, where are they before this? I may be reading this wrong but you need to keep them in the carrier until they seem happy and then move to a small cage, after they seem happy in there move to a bigger cage.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Samana

Post by Samana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:43 pm

They are back in their individual cages as one of the naked ones just kept jumping out and hiding on me before I got a chance to shut the lid. Just going to start from scratch tomorrow and get a friend to take charge who is really good with these type of things. So hopefully it will be more successful as I keep taking them out.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm

I know when I did my first intro I was a bag of nerves. Now, it is a case of just get on with it. Starting from scratch sounds a good idea. Good luck. :luck:
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Samana

Post by Samana » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:31 pm

So I've swapped their sleeping boxes with their dirty bedding in and the most amazing thing happened earlier. They all went and slept in the boxes I swapped (they have lots) so I thought I would do a small little intro and try and get my scared one to feel more comfortable.

The dominant one who usually puts them in their place went and laid in between the two naked ones and went to sleep. That was it. My two Lilly naked ones didn't and both just stayed still. So I've done a cage swap and am going to put them all back in their normal cages before bed with each others bedding so hopefully I can do a long intro with them all tomorrow.

My other furry rat didn't pay any attention to the other three and just sat there eating everything. So I feel a lot better and hopefully the rats will be a bit let nervous about each other

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 am

How are things going? :luck:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Samana

Post by Samana » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 pm

My little naked is still terrified and tom bit his bum the other day. There were no marks or anything so i don't think it was aggressive. I wish they were all living together as I just saw the two little saddest girl rats that I wanted to bring home with me, but I have nowhere to put them.

They are definitely getting better with each other and im hoping that by the weekend they will be together. I've got them a small neutral cage that I will put them in first try gradually move them into the big one. So fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your advice

Return to “Behaviour”