Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Issues within the group after complicated neuter
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 pm 

Ten days ago we had one of our bucks, Marley, neutered for bullying his two cagemates (neither of whom are neutered.) As he'd already opened himself back up before leaving the vets and seeing as we couldn't put only the calmer one of the others in with him we made the decision to separate him for a day or two to give the wound a chance to knit.

But two days after the op I found him with one side of the wound totally open and at least an inch and a half of what turned out to be fat protruding out, so he was rushed in for another op. Again, we left him for a couple of days as he was quite poorly afterwards (and needed a sausage bandage of shame bless him) and then popped both of the others in with him for some company during the day when I could supervise. It didn't go well at all, with his brother Oswald (who had been the one Marley had mainly been targeting) being quite aggressive towards him, which we've never seen him do before. We've managed during the last few days with popping in his other cagemate, Roger for short bursts of time, and occasionally Oswald as well although he is still being quite shirty with Marley.

This morning I felt that as it had been a week since his second op, Marley would now be fine to go through a 'mini intro' so I popped all 3 in the carrier to start rebonding. But only 10 minutes in and Oswald and Marley were fighting - when I took Marley out to check him over both sides of his wound were bleeding so he's back in a smaller cage for now with Roger in short bursts.

Am I right in thinking that Marley's being out of the main cage has caused a hierarchy shift? I'm at a loss really as to what to do at the moment - obviously I can't risk anyone catching Marley's stitches again but he needs to be back with his group. My thoughts were to leave him to knit up a day or two longer with periods of company and then plop them in the carrier and leave them to get on with it - does this sound sensible?

Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Issues within the group after complicated neuter
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm 

Oh dear, what tinkers they are. I think I would wait for his wound to heal before introducing. His hormones would settle in about 3 weeks or so but this is a long time for him to be on his own and as you have said it has changed the dynamics in the others. I can't really se an easy option for you. Sorry I can't offer any advice, just hope it gets sorted.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 am 

I had the same issue with one of my boys after neutering. He was still so aggressive I had to keep him seperate from the group for 3 weeks - afterwards the reintroduction was no problem at all. He was mobbed and sniffed all over but after a couple of minutes the excitement was over and everything was hunkydory x

Gone but not forgotten: My first rats: Spot 21 months, Shortstripe 33 months, Longstripe 34 months. My four dumbos: Poseidon 27 months, Hermes 29 months, Apollo 32 months, Zeus 32 months. Daryl 26 months. Phil 20 months, Merle 37 months. Shadow 19 months.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 am 

Thank you so much for the replies and reassurance :) We're almost there with healing so I'm hoping to maybe try again with putting them back together tomorrow and praying that Oswald behaves himself; I think he's getting his own back for all the beatings up he's had :roll: It's the first time we've ever had an issue with a neuter, all the others have gone smoothly but then I suppose there's always one awkward one!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour