Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Intros with 12-14 week old
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 pm 

Hi all,

I've recently adopted a lone girl from the RSPCA, I was told she was 6-12 months old, but I think she's more like 12-14 weeks old (she's about half the size of my adult female!) I've started intros with my older 2, Arthur who's around 18 months and Bea who is about a year. Everything seems to be going well so far, but she seems to be really irritating the older two, they're being submissive but she keeps on, I think possibly trying to initiate play?

It really wasn't the plan to get younger rats, I just wanted company for Bea as I don't know how long Arthur has left, but I don't know whether I should get my new girl same age company for her own well-being. If so would it be better to find a friend/friends for her as soon as possible while I'm still in the process of introducing the 3, or wait and then do another round of intros when everything is settled?

Any advice appreciated, safe to say I'm a little out of my depth with this one having only ever rescued adult rats!

Post subject: Re: Intros with 12-14 week old
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I agree, I think she needs a playmate - I'd look for one asap so that intros only have to be done once. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 am 

Thanks for the reply. Only local babies I can find are ready to go Sunday, so will continue with intros in the critter until then, hopefully going to have a look this afternoon. Although she's not a registered breeder, from what I can see she looks fairly responsible and only has one litter at the moment.

Would it be advised to quarantine them at all? I don't think they've been in contact with other rats outside of the litter.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Check whether they understand about quarantine risks. Ask whether the breeder has had any contact with other rats over the last two weeks, or any visitors who have, or been to any petshops that have rats.

If they've been isolated for two weeks and no signs of illness, then you should be okay without quarantine.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 pm 

Having asked for the lady's address, it turns out it is actually a pet shop :roll: I'm familiar with the store and from what I understand all animals they sell are bred in-store or from local breeders. Obviously still not great but it's all I can find at the moment within reasonable distance.

Apparently their rats are bred and reared by a member of staff at home, handled daily etc and then bought in when ready to leave mum. I'll be meeting the guy who actually breeds them today, so will ask him, hoping that because he's an owner who breeds as a hobby he'll be fairly clued up.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 am 

Went to go and see the girls yesterday and inevitably fell in love. The breeder said they haven't been in contact with any other rats outside of their litter since arriving in the store and all looked really healthy and had been ready to go since last Sunday. He mentioned giving them extra protein for the first few weeks, and gave me a care sheet which all seems to be pretty legit (also has his personal number on it in case I have any problems). Out of the 4 left I decided on a girl who kept test biting me quite hard and a red eyed one because I imagine they'd be difficult to home to someone who hasn't had rats before. Hoping I've made the right choice and not landed myself in more trouble! :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour