Bonding

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Rlord252

Bonding

Post by Rlord252 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:57 am

I just got new rats yesterday, 3 males. They are already a couple months old. They seem a little skittish, and I have been giving them out of cage playtime in an enclosed room where their cage is so they can run back in if they felt unsafe. I feel like they are still afraid or skittish of me though. I give them each a treat every time I come to the cage. Am I doing something wrong? Does it just take more time? What was your favorite activity to bond with your rats? Thank you guys so much!

Caza66

Re: Bonding

Post by Caza66 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My favourite way of getting newbies used to me is to wear a dressing gown and pop them in there and sit and watch tv on the sofa. I would also take out the hidey holes and houses out of their cage and just leave them with open flat hammocks and ropes, this way they have nowhere to hide and will get used to you quicker. You can also offer something like yummy yoghurt on a spoon so they can't run away with it.

Good luck.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:39 am

The best way to form a quick bond with rats is to keep them with you rather than let them run around - wear a loose outer layer like a hoody or dressing gown, pop them inside it and either walk around or sit on an isolated chair for at least 20 minutes. Slip your hand in with them and give gentle strokes and massages. This way they will get used to your smell, amd learn that you are a safe and fun place to be. :luck:

ETA - cross posted! ;)

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm

All of the above, and just to point out that the rats have only been with you a day so far? Some rats will be confident and relaxed within that timeframe, but many won't. They have just moved to a completely new environment, after all, and they're also just getting to know you. Be patient and persistent; they'll come round.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

cloversmama

Post by cloversmama » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:19 am

Sometimes it just takes a bit of time. My Clover took about a week to fully warm up to me. It may be frustrating, but I promise that it is worth the wait! Just keep doing what you're doing!

Return to “Behaviour”