Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: When introductions going life threateningly wrong....
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 am 

On Thursday a stray male rat came to live with me (already been quarantined etc), i assume hes 9-12 months old but thats just a guess.

I have a mischeif of 10 males (4 neutered, 6 intact) they are a laid back group and very used to other, even adults, coming and going from their little family. For the first 5 minutes thinks were touch and go and Eric (the newbie) mabey his presence know, my boys as expected submitted and literally for the next 11 hours the group was in perfect harmony (literally never seen an intro start so well)

Yesterday morning all was fine, until i literally left the room for 2 minutes (still within ear shot) and i came back in and there was a load of blood and Peanuts insides were hanging out!! (his umbilicus and testicle, the would was never his penis). Luckily this was at 8:20 and the vets open at 8:30 so i went straight there and he has emergency surgery and luckily my little old man (2 1/2 years!) is doing AMAZING you would literally never think hed had to have his insides stitched back into him! How this happened i have no idea as i didnt hear a sound and they had spend the morning sleeping next to eachother!

My question is what is the best course of action now? hes definitely being Neutered before i do anything else but then do i :-

1. Try again with my main mischief (the prefered option BUT im affraid that would be far too dangerous)
2. Get baby boys to keep him company
3. Get another adult male to keep him company (but then i risk a repeat with both Eric and the newbies)
4. Get him a similar aged girlfriend or 2? (** would the smell of girls cause issues with my main mischeif whos cage is right next to Erics?)

I would also just like to remind anyone reading this, especially anyone thinking of introductions etc that my experience yesterday really does show that no matter how experienced you are (this was my 6th introduction) that things CAN and sometimes DO go very very wrong and this could very easily of resulted in Peanuts death, even when the carrier method is followed!

Post subject: Re: When introductions going life threateningly wrong....
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

He may be fine after neutering, although allow 6 weeks for the hormones to fully subside.

Otherwise, I would think the girlfriends would be the safest option - the boys won't be bothered by their presence, but the girls will do their utmost to get to the boys when they are in season, so be careful! However, it's best not to keep cages next to each other anyway, if they have to be, then slip a solid divider between them - I favour cardboard sheets. ;)

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: When introductions going life threateningly wrong....
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:16 pm 

Thanks :) Ideally getting him in with the main mischeif would be the best for both me and him, hes extreamly confident and active and i think he would really benefit from the hugeeee cage and the interaction with a large group to keep him mentally stimulated but at the same time yesterday was the scariest thing ive ever seen, ive had injuries before but ive never ever seen any animals inside hanging out!

Luckily Peanut doesnt seem to have been fazed in the slightest but im going to have to give it alot of time and thought if i do try it again!

In hinde sight i probably should of taken some time to get to know Erics personality and let him settle in before starting intros (id only had in 24 hours) id just become a little bit complacent after the success of all my others but thats one lesson ive definitely learnt the hard way!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour