Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: One of my rats is suddenly really scared
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 pm 

Two of my rats were normal play fighting then one of them freaked out and ran round the cage. He then hid behind his bed frozen. I've tried to take him out to have a look at him but he now hiding in a mass of tissues with his brother grooming him.

I have no idea what scared him so much he doesn't seem hurt but he's now very nervous and won't take treats. Should I leave him be till he relaxes a bit? He is the most nervous out of all 4, but generally very sociable and loves a cuddle?

Not really sure what to do?

Post subject: Re: One of my rats is suddenly really scared
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Hopefully he's calmed down by now, but sometimes a rat can just get spooked and it can take a while for them to return to normal.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 pm 

He's not hiding anymore but he's not being himself, he won't take any treats from me I have to leave them by him and he will eat them. He did sit in my top for a while and let me pick him up and sat on my shoulder. Physically he seems ok but he's still being a bit nervous.

I still have no idea what freaked him out so much but it doesn't look like he's entirely recovered so I've left him with a few of his favourite treats which he's now nibbling on in his space pod.

Should I take him to the vets or wait a while as I can't actually see anything wrong with him?

Thanks for your advice x

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 pm 

He's gone back to hiding again his brother made him jump when he had a mad 5 minutes (basically just running up to me and running away again). In worried he won't go back to normal as I don't know what scared him in the first place it's like he's now scared of everything?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:31 am 
Fancy Rats Team

A vet isn't going to be able to help with something behavioural.

If he's still like it today, I would try to spend extra time with just him, taking him around the house and gradually expose him to everything that's going on while he is securely on you. A pouch might help, or wear a hoody back to front so he can sit in the hood. Kind of force him to accept that everything is okay, rather than let him hide.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 pm 

I've had him.in my hoodie please day today but every time he goes back in the cage he just hides. He won't take food from me so I just leave it near him to eat.

Im worried it's not a behavioural thing but maybe he had a seizure, as his running around the cage was similar to a video I have seen on Facebook. I also feel sorry for his cage mate as he clearly wants to play but al just sits in the corner hiding behind the litter box.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:31 am 
Fancy Rats Team

If it were a seizure, he should still have returned to normal by now. Try removing all enclosed spaces in the cage so he can't hide - just have open accessories like perches, ropes, and flat hammocks.

What other rats are in their group?

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:52 am 

cyber ratty wrote:
If it were a seizure, he should still have returned to normal by now.

That is usually but not always the case. I had a rat with epilepsy who behaved oddly for a few days after her first known seizure, probably because it was likely a strange and frightening experience. Seizures are rare however, and at this point I'd personally still be looking for environmental causes rather than biological ones, unless there were more concretely seizure-like symptoms.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:39 pm 

cyber ratty wrote:

What other rats are in their group?

I was wondering this too....

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:38 pm 

I have more males in total. He was playing normally with his brother when it happened. He seems to be getting a bit more back to normal today and has taken treats from me.
However he is only taking them from the safety of his hammock.

He's doesn't seem scared of me or the other rats more like the space, he's fine when I take him out but won't try and run around and will keep trying to hide in my top and in the cage he's either hiding behind the litter boxes or in his hammock. He will snuggle up with the other rats though.

Just seems like really strange behaviour as I can't really work out what would have scared him. When I remove things from the cage he just sits in one corner and his brother will usually go and give him a bit of a grooming.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour