Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: New cage mate advice
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 pm 

Hi,

I was just hoping for some advice I had two male rats however one passed due to poor health, they were cage mates since young so I didn't have to worry about introducing them. I now have one neutered male rat, he was neutered due to aggression and bullying but this resolved once neutered, and he is very friendly with people. I have noticed since the loss of his cage mate a change in his behavior and I suspect he's a bit lonley despite the increased in human contact. I'm hoping to ask about how to introduce new rats (I have a three tier cage so separating for a time to get used to smells is possible) I'm mainly wanting to find out if it's possible to introduce an older rat (my rat is 20 months) and if it would be more advisable to adopt a female or a male rat and the best way to introduce them. I am not wanting to get younger rats as unfortunately I have developed allergies which are manageable now as I have had them since getting the boys but I would struggle long term.I am really just hoping for advice to do what's best for my buck.

Thank you for any advice you guys can give

Post subject: Re: New cage mate advice
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

You are lucky that you can consider either males or females, depending on who you are able to find, but he will need rat companions asap.

The best introduction method is the carrier method - details here.

Sorry to be brief, I have to go and eat. Best of luck :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:33 pm 

Thank you that's really helpful, although I'm struggling to find any up for adoption in my area. I feel it needs to be an older rat but if I can't find an adoption would the carrier method still be the best option if I have to get younger rats?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm 

Yes, the carrier method is the recommended method for most introductions, including to younger rats. Just make sure they're at least 8-10 weeks old so the size difference isn't too huge.

If you're in the UK and on Facebook, the Rat Rescue Network may be a useful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RRNUK/

Where are you? Perhaps one of us can recommend a rescue in the area.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 pm 

I live in north east England in County Durham. I haven't been on that page before so I'll have a look thanks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour