Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: injury during introductions
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:25 am 

Yesterday we picked up a mother and daughter pair (approximately 15 and 8 months old) to keep our lone doe (approximately 22 months) company after the sudden loss of her cage mate. Our doe had a mammary tumour removed on monday. We are using the carrier method for introductions. This morning I noticed a 1cm wound on our does back, we have heard some squabbling during the night but left them to sort themselves out as a group. Now we have a wound and blood I do not know what to do. How should we proceed with the introductions or is this a sign this is not going to work.
Thank you for reading, any advice welcome

Post subject: Re: injury during introductions
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:44 pm 

Hi Again,
I have been doing a bit more research and my new plan is to go back to square one.
Pop all three in a neutral space (the bath tub plus towel) and observe.
If all seems well pop in my smallest (cleaned) carrier, hopefully they will jump in themselves (although my oldest girl may need a hand ;) ).
Then take it very slowly. I have a carrier about the size of a small hamster cage I will put them into next (again cleaned so on one thinks its 'their turf'). Once they seem happy there I have a cat carrier they can go in (cleaned again), then add hammock to the cat carrier. Then into bare cage. My new plan is VERY slowly...
If we have any more blood then I will separate and contact the breeders - hopefully she will be able to advise.
Thank you for reading (any comments or advice welcome)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 pm 

How severe is the wound? It's possible someone's claw just caught on her back during a scrap. If you can clip their claws, that can help keep the accidental injuries down.

Definitely start them off in the smallest enclosure you have that they can all physically fit into. If you can attach a water bottle somehow then you can in theory leave them as long as is necessary. Taking them on a walk or drive is a good way to reduce arguing and encourage bonding, so if they're being difficult you can give that a try anytime you feel the need. And taking it slow is always a good plan.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm 

Hi Cub
Thank you for responding.
The wound is a 1cm long gash, 2mm deep. At first I though it was a bite wound but I cannot see any teeth marks so it is possible it is from claws. So far going slowly seems to be working. I am hoping I just rushed thing as I have only done introductions once before :oops:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 pm 

It sounds like it's from a claw then; bite wounds tend to be short but deep. (Speaking from personal experience here. :lol: :roll: ) At what stage were they (in terms of cage size and accessories) when the wound appeared?

If you're able to attach a water bottle to the smallest carrier, then I'd leave them in there at least overnight. It's relatively cool at the moment so they should be alright, I would have thought. I'd probably guess they'd need at least 24 hours in each of the small and medium carriers, with at least 12 hours of calm interaction before moving up. And then at least a few days at the cat carrier stage, with 24 hours of calm interaction before moving into the final cage. But those are minimums; I know some introductions take several times those sorts of durations!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour