Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Newbie rat owner - rats out of the cage
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am 

Hi,

I am new to being a rat owner, I have 2 13 week old boys and they now have settled in and are used to the new home. I have been looking around and I see loads of owners letting their rats run free around the room. Mine love climbing on my shoulders and they are trained with that.

My problem is my room (which is my bedroom, my mother would not allow me to let them free anywhere else in the house) has nooks and crannies where they can hide into and there are the odd wires, I let them roam around my double bed but if they want to venture around somewhere else I start to get nervous. Should I just let them investigate the whole room a couple of times so they see everything or build a pen where they can run around in that?

I am really nervous that they will hurt themselves

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Newbie rat owner - rats out of the cage
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Rats are driven to explore, but not to escape, so they will come back, just in their own time, which can be a problem. Also, if you are worried at all, they will pick up on that and perhaps become nervous themselves, so it is best to adapt the room.

Nooks and crannies are fine, so long as you don't mean holes in floorboards. The wires are a problem though - you could either get some protective conduit or tubing for the wires to go through, or block off the parts of the room where they are.

Blocking off areas tends to work far better than trying to keep rats inside a pen. ;) These are some good panels that people use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FVVPIVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jvTEybK0294BY

ETA, if you're on facebook, this post in Rat Care UK group shows an excellent example https://www.facebook.com/groups/RatCareUK/permalink/1544815918873313/

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: Newbie rat owner - rats out of the cage
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 am 

I used to have a makeshift set of panels- large, light mdf boards hinged together with brackets from B&Q :lol: I had a few of them in rows of two or three and used them to make a sort of cordon so they couldn't get into the cracks. You could also hinge a few together and make a large pen around you. :) The stuff was super cheap and I put it together myself, and because they were hinged, they folded away neatly :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour