Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: How long to open up whole cage after introductions
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 pm 

So my rats are all in the liberta now an I have moved them into the whole cage, however I have had to go back a step as some fights and shrieking have been breaking out with my little hairless. He's started shrieking every time one of the bigger ones come near him and running to hide.

I don't know if it because he is scared of them scratching him or they were bullying him. He was previously sleeping with them all but now dives on me and won't go back into the cage.

How long should I leave it till I reopen the whole cage as the rest of them were loving the space? I should also add we are decorating at the moment so they have been moved from their usual spot. Wondering if all too much too soon.

Post subject: Re: How long to open up whole cage after introductions
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 pm 

I've now gonna back to basics and removed all hammocks as my two nakeds wouldn't let colonel in the hammock and it was causing an unreasonable amount of tension. They now all hate me and are hiding together in the corner, if the fighting continues they will be going back in the carrier until they sort out whatever is bothering them and stop picking on each other.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am 

I've been taught to leave them for a minimum of 72 hours at each size stage, and obviously for longer if they need it. The only exception is the carrier at the start 'cause it's so small, but even then, if they're not settling in there then leaving them in the carrier for several days is not out of the question.

I like to see 24 hours of polite, relaxed behaviour before moving up. I don't think they necessarily need to have zero arguments (even established groups have scuffles, and babies naturally playfight) but any disagreements should be brief and calm, and they should be comfortable eating and moving around each other.

If they're being arses, shove 'em all in the carrier and take them on a walk/drive for an hour. That might break up the tension and allow them to go back into e.g. a bare half-Liberta with a little more respect for each other. :luck:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:44 am 

That's what I ended up doing last night as they were just winding each other up so they all went into the carrier from about 2.00am till this morning where I put them back in half the explorer. They were snuggling when I left for work.

I did tell them if it continues they will be living in the carrier :) not that I think they understood!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour