Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Keep getting bitten
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 pm 

One of my new rescue rats keeps biting me. He's drawn blood twice now (not loads more like a little paper cut) each time has been after there has been a bit of a fight in the cage and I try to check over the hairless rats.

He is genuinely quite grabby with his mouth so snatches food really quick, I've been trying to teach him gently. In fully aware that he could bite a lot harder if he wanted to, in not sure if it's because they're all excited at this point he thinks im food or he's trying to hurt me.

If I put my hand in to give him a little stroke or I have treats he doesn't bite it's usually when I go to touch one of the other rats. Is there anything I can do to stop him doing this as I would rather not get him neutered unless absolutely necessary.

I've been working on giving him strokes and picking him up, what an I do to work with him. His brother is also a bit nippy but not as hard and he uses his mouth for more play we are also working on that.

Post subject: Re: Keep getting bitten
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

It sounds like neutering would be best for him I'm afraid.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: Keep getting bitten
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 am 

I think he was mistaking my finger for treats as he has started taking them very gently now and when he's sure the treat is food he grabs it a bit harder and is all happy. He's fine with being picked up and having cuddles so I think maybe it was just a case of mistaken identity... We will see though if it happens again we will be having a vet visit x

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour