Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: 1 buck aggressive towards 2 other bucks now separated advice
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm 

I rehomed 3 bucks so not much background on them. Since I got them the big dominant buck who was alpha called george was causing tension between the group, steadily got worse until 1 day there was lots of fights and standoff between George and the second in command arny with the other rat dobby not wanting trouble but kind of stuck in the middle. This resulted in dobby getting bitten by George with dobby left with pretty major wound this luckily has now healed fine. I immediately seperated George from the group to prevent any more fights and got another cage for George as I didn't want any more injuries. This unfortunately happened a day before me and the family were away for a week with my mother in law looking after the house and rats as she lives with us, arrived home today with arny and dobby getting on lovely with dobby looking loads more relaxed and comfortable as before he has always been nervy and on edge. But George is not happy at all being in a cage by himself and seems very on edge, bitey and aggressive towards me and partner aswell but I don't think he would integrate back in with the other 2 rats. Not sure what to do, options could be neutering George then trying to intergrate him with other 2 else he will just have to stay by himself, can't see him taking to another rat. Any advice very much appreciated, Thanks, Kaz.

Post subject: Re: 1 buck aggressive towards 2 other bucks now separated ad
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 am 

You have a couple of options. You can either start introductions using the carrier method (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52). Or get him neutered and once hormones have been reduced (3 weeks?) then do introductions, using the carrier method. He won't be happy being separated so my first thoughts would be to try intros first, see how things progress and then if things aren't working out you have the neutering option. Make sure you have a vet that has neutered rats before.

Good luck :luck:

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour