Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Neutered buck being aggressive
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 pm 

I got Neb, along with star-lord and yondu, from an adoption centre. They were 12 months old when I got them at the end of June. It has been a long and arduous introduction. I ended up having to get Neb neutered along with one of my exsisting group on 4 July and star-lord done a couple of weeks ago. They have been in half an SRS for 2 weeks. So Neb has been neutered for 8 weeks and his hormones quickly settled in about 3 weeks but the last couple of days he has been rolling around with one of my youngsters, like fur balls. It is possible that the youngster has been bothering him but I only get to see the ruckus. I can't see anything physically wrong with him.

Any ideas what the problem is likely to be?

Every time I put the introduction/hospital cage back in the loft, I have to get it down again but I really hope I don't have to go back a stage again.

Post subject: Re: Neutered buck being aggressive
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 am 

Definitely not an expert in this area but I didn't want this to go un-replied-to...

Maybe Neb needs a bit longer for hormones to fully settle? Or maybe the youngster also needs his nads removing...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 pm 

Neb is still terrorising the group. It's not always the youngster he is after, there is my boy old boy who has hld. I've never had such a troublesome lot. I would appreciate any advice.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Maybe he would do better in a group of girls.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

Ive never seen a neutered male continue to be aggressive. Got yourself a tricky one there.
Perhaps even though hes neutered he has not been challenged as alpha and so he still sees himself as the dominant rat and the youngster as an intruder.

The hld boy might just be copping flak by not getting out the way quick enough once tempers flare.

Being neutered already Neb he shouldnt really invite too much dominant aggro from the intact youngster, in theory.
What changed in that couple of days when he started tumbling with the youngster ?
Was the youngster a recent addition to their group at that point ?

You *could* try having the intact youngster chemically neutered with one of those implants. I know people have used them with rats, I can ask about for info if you like. Suprelorin implant I think. Not something I would trust for mixing with girls, but for aggression control definitely a consideration.
That might be worthwhile to see if it settles things down in the cage.

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour