Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Older aggression
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 pm 

Hi all,

My first visit here for some time!

I currently have a mischief of 5 boys, all over the age of 2, don't know specific ages as they are rescues. I got them as a group of 7 and have lost 2, the last one I lost was at Christmas. I know that smudge is the alpha, but generally they're very close and bonded as a group. I feed them on rat rations elderly friendly mix (can't remember what number off hand) and they also get dinner left overs (as long as it's suitable).

So this evening I went to give them some broccoli and potatoes left over for dinner and notice a load of blood spatters in the corner of the cage, I've checked them all and found that Bear, who is the most human friendly boy has a big scab on his head, it's the only injury I could see would cause this much blood. Smudge is very possessive over his food and takes it all to a corner. I went to pick up Bear and as I started to take him out if the cage smudge attacked him in my hands!

Any advice? Not sure what to do as this group have been together for most of their lives and now there seems to be issues!?

Post subject: Re: Older aggression
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 pm 

I'm not an expert, but given their ages I'd wonder if there was something wrong with either Bear or Smudge medically. A vet check might be worthwhile in case illness is either causing Bear to be a target, or causing Smudge to act up.

In the meanwhile you could try putting them through carrier method introductions (http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52) to re-bond the group.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour