Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: New baby boys very nervous
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 am 

Hi, any advice here would be very helpful. I have had babies before but not for a while.

I have just got 2 six week old boys from a person who has breed them, not perhaps the most knowledgeable person I gathered when I met them. I have had the boys nearly 48hrs, early days I know but they are so scared, don't bite.

They just sit in their sputnik and look so frightened, one always sits on the other and seems the dominant male. They don't appear to be eating or drinking, I have them on the same food as the breeder. I did manage to get them to lick yoghurt from my fingers, now I know these things take time but I am so worried about them. Any advice would be very helpful. Many thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: New baby boys very nervous
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Firstly I would change the cage layout so that there isn't anywhere that is enclosed (e.g. remove the sputnik), leaving just flat hammocks, perches, and ropes. Also, place the cage somewhere busy so that they quickly get used to the fact that people are not a danger to them.

Secondly, wear a loose outer layer (dressing gown, hoody, etc.), slip them inside it and go and stand or sit well away from the cage with your hand in there too. Do this for at least 20 minutes once or twice a day and their fear should melt soon. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 am 

Hi

Thank you for your help. I will try this and they are in a busy room. Poor little things look terrified. My main concern is that they are not eating, especially one who really does just sit there looking terrified. I am going to buy some rat nuggets today and see if they prefer this, I am not sure Wiko Musli is best for them anyway but apparently it was what they were fed, they were also on shavings which they are now certainly not :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:39 am 

If you get nuggets, at least get Science Selective Rat. Pets at Home nuggets are very poor quality and have been linked to a noticeable increase in tumours in rats that have been fed them.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:46 am 

Thank you for the advice, I will look out for Selective.

Jo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 am 

Hi,

Thank you guys for your help, I have completely different boys now :D .

I took all hiding places out and kept putting my hand in sometimes offering a treat and sometimes not. They will both walk over my hand now and the braver one will sit on my hand, so I lift him up onto the next level in the cage, he is still wary but this is progress. Also had them out on my fluffy dressing gown, the brave one loves my sleeves, the other just wants to jump back in cage but what a difference. Both eating ok now too.

Going to keep this up now as I have now started to gain their trust. This may change slightly at the weekend when my 3 year old meets them.

Thank you all again.

Jo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Great news :D If he's trying to get back in the cage then you are too close to it, go into a different room so you become their main safe place to be. ;)

You'll have a fun weekend ahead, I'm sure they will bond well! :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour