Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: I need help taming my rats
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:46 pm 

I got 3 young female rats the other day and I'm rather confused and unsure of what to do now, I've looked up videos and sites and most of them say the same thing.. but my rats seem really skittish still and hide in their tunnel (which is held up against the cage wall) when I'm up and about. I've left them in the cage since the first time I tried to take them out and put them in play pen with just me and them they didn't come out the carrier and just hid in the corner even after bribing them with treats which didn't work either.

It's the third day now and I've managed to get 2 of them to lick from the spoon but I'm not sure if that's gonna do anything. I've tried putting my hand in the cage but a period of time but they show no interest and/or too scared. I saw people suggest to do the hoodie method but I'm a bit unsure how to get them out and into the hoodie since they're in the tunnel or how to pick them up, since they're not hand trained yet.

Any suggestions or tips would be great, I know the progress may be very long but I just want to know if I'm taking the right steps or if there's something else I could try?

Post subject: Re: I need help taming my rats
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am 

Firstly I would take out the tubes and hidey holes, leaving just flat hammocks, perches, and ropes. Also, place the cage somewhere busy so that they quickly get used to the fact that people being around.

Secondly, as suggested wear a dressing gown, hoody, etc, slip them inside it and go and stand or sit well away from the cage and as they have nowhere to hide in the cage they will soon get used to being picked up. Do this for at least 20 minutes once or twice a day. I have about 3 rats that squeak every time I pick them up, but I ignore them unless I know it is pain, which in your case is unlikely. :luck:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:07 pm 

Heya!

I removed the tunnel and other stuff that would be hard for me to move to reach the ratties and managed to put them in a snuggle pouch and had them there for 20mins close against me. I think it's made a bit of difference actually they seem alot less scared. I'm slightly worried about when they want to start crawling out and exploring what should do at that point? Since some parts of my room aren't really rat proof just yet, should I set up the play pen and let them come out then?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:54 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Do you have a safe hallway to sit in instead? They will soon view you as a safe base to explore from and return to. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:54 pm 

I have a rather small bathroom which would be perfect actually I live in a shared house but I'm sure my flatmates would understand if i put a sign up or something. ^^

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour