Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Introducing 5 Month Olds to 20 Month Old Bucks
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm 

Hi guys,

I've recently been looking out to introduce some friends to my current boys, as Sylvester hasn't been in the best of shape recently (see this post for more info), and Murphy needs some more energetic company.

I've been having a look about, and I can't seem to find any rats near myself! Most of the local breeders have a waiting list, and also - I'm not entirely sure I want to introduce kittens to my guys anyway, as I don't want them bothering Sylvester. I don't want to adopt from a pet shop either.
I have managed to find two guys on Gumtree (I know, I know). Their owner is getting rid of them as she doesn't have time for them anymore. They're approx. 5 months old, and from Pets at Home (another, I know, I know). I would normally be against taking them because of this, but I've spoken to her, and she said that if no one takes them, she'll be sending them back there, and I would feel really guilty if I let her do that!
They seem like lovely little guys (though their diet is poor from what she's told me, and they're not well handled) and I just know I could give them a great new life.

HOWEVER, I need to take Murphy and Sylvester's needs into account first. Sylvester is already a tad fragile due to getting old, and I'm very limited in places I could quarantine the new guys - maybe my living room at a push, but we dog-sit for my older brother during the day, or my bedroom, where the boys are, which doesn't seem like a great plan.
They would also be quarantined in a (large) hamster cage - it has plenty of floor space (just as much as what my current boys have), but is shorter and therefore not ideal for long-term living, but they could probably go a week or two in there as I'll be handling them a lot anyway to get them used to me.

What do you guys think? I'm going to have a look at them next week, and she definitely expects me to take them, but I wanted to get some other opinions first. I am on some breeder waiting lists, but we're looking at March/May before any babies.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Introducing 5 Month Olds to 20 Month Old Bucks
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm 

Most of my guys have been rescued from one source or another so good to take these guys on. At 5 months old they may be getting to the teenager stage, however, using the carrier method here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52, should alleviate any potential issues with territory. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Behaviour