New rats and trust

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Tingles84

New rats and trust

Post by Tingles84 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi folks,
On Wednesday I took ownership of 2 male rats, Charles and Fred. They were six weeks old on Wednesday so still tiny. They were well handled by the breeder. They come out of the cage OK, and Fred seems to have found his favourite spot (under my ponytail on the back of my neck) but Charles wants to hide and seems very skittish. He doesn't try and run away when I get him out but just wants to get in a dark place. Fred will run up and down my arms, sniffing around, before curling up in his place.
Myself and my partner both handle them equally and he seems to react the same with us both.
Will it come over time? I have had rats before but they have always been adults; mostly inherited from friends that couldn't have them anymore for whatever reason, so I have never had tiny rats. I am looking forward to training them and having an awesome relationship with them but obviously they need to trust us first.
Any advice or insights would be much appreciated!

Caza66

Re: New rats and trust

Post by Caza66 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes, they sound fine. It is a new home so they have to get used to new sights, sounds and smells. I usually sit on the sofa every night for 20 minutes watching tv whilst they get used to things. Doesn’t sounds like you will have problems.
My current gang :hearts: Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Behaviour”