Getting them back in?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Sawyer28

Getting them back in?

Post by Sawyer28 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

My rats are in a rat safe room and I have let them out for days , I think maybe this is counterproductive could you give me ideas and any information on how you guys get them back in the cage . I am very new with rats and they are so sweet I don’t mind them out at all but I would rather a nice set routine ( for me)they are5 months old , i put them in on Thursday’s just to full clean rugs walls and room and toys . I may have set there idea of a schedule huh lol. How do you get them in?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Getting them back in?

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Lol - most people will set a routine of feeding their rats immediately after free ranging, so they have a motivation to go back. Alternatively, train them to come to you for a treat perhaps, and then pop them back in the cage.

It's lovely that they have so much time out, but I would recommend at least shutting them in the cage while you are asleep (...imagine you had a fire one night and tried to get them into a carrier on your way out to safety, much quicker and easier if they were in the cage).

Sawyer28

Post by Sawyer28 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 am

Thank you for your advise,Yes very good point. they seem to know exactly what I’m doing though ,Apparently they don’t want too . I have never had to outsmart a pet before . When we play they are all about me corkscrewing and popping around diggin it’s sooo cute but when it’s TIME there be crickets lol. I could get 2 back in but. I can’t close it without everyone how would Hugo feel. Well played little fuzzies , treats don’t work on him and if I grab him yikes.... I pick them all up fine and place them at brunch dish 12:00 then clean and try to put them back 7:00 pm sometimes I win but mostly I loose , not giving up ever ,any other ideas. Mayb cause they still sleepy ? I will split feeding that sounds promising! Thanks again

Sawyer28

Post by Sawyer28 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Last night they followed the food dish in . They will be cautious tonite though lol ! I played with them this time before giving them there dish and hugs and kisses . Sweethearts. Thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 am

Excellent. Good luck :luck:

Return to “Behaviour”