Blues cagemate...

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
maddy_harper

Blues cagemate...

Post by maddy_harper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Unfortunately blues cage me didn’t make the transition from glass thank cage, he died four days after I got the pair of them. Blue has been very sad however his appetite is still brilliant and he still very enthusiastic about coming out and being handled you like sitting on my shoulder to go for a walk. He loves going for a walk!
I have never had a baby rat that has lost its cage me before I’ve only ever had this in adult rights and I’ve usually introduced another baby but I don’t really know what to do where blue is concerned because I’ve never had this happen before so I’m not really sure how to go about fixing it. I know he needs a friend, but I don’t want to have two cages with one right in each that’s my ultimate fear I guess is the match not working out and having two single boys
Any advice would be great thank you
formerly Maddy

[cub]

Re: Blues cagemate...

Post by [cub] » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Blue will definitely benefit from a new friend as soon as possible. Introducing babies is usually the most straightforward, but if you do go for more baby rats, then you will need to introduce at least two, since the new youngsters will be quite a bit younger than Blue now, and baby rats need same-age company for proper social development. Also, having a group of three rats will prevent one being left on his own in the case of another sudden death.

If you go through introductions slowly and carefully, it should work just fine. Also, if you get your rats from a reputable rescue or breeder and explain your situation, if your first attempt at introductions don't work out, they may be willing to take back the rats you've adopted and let you try introductions with another pair.

If you let us know where you are, we may be able to suggest suitable sources of rats who should also be able to advise you through the introductions process. You're unlikely to get rats from a good breeder at such short notice though; there are however some very lovely young boys in a rescue Surrey at the moment (for example).
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Behaviour”