Hi everyone newbie questions

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Davegorwill

Hi everyone newbie questions

Post by Davegorwill » Tue May 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi everyone, I have searched the forum for these answers and could not find anything so sorry if this has been asked.
We picked up 3 young girls 2 days ago for my daughter as she always wanted a pet and read so many great stories about rats.

My first question is that the litter tray is being used very well straight away which I’m happy with and if I find any odd bits of poop I move them to the tray, but they keep uranting on the top floor plastic level, how can I train them tonurinate in the litter tray on the bottom? They love there house up there so don’t really want to move it, or do I put another small litter tray up there.

Also is it normal for them not to take any treats from us yet?

We are handling them daily but two are still very skittish is this normal aswell.

Like I said this has probably been asked but I couldn’t see answers when searching.

Caza66

Re: Hi everyone newbie questions

Post by Caza66 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi and welcome. Yes, rats will wee in litter trays but also like plastic trays particularly if it is near their house (why go to the trouble of getting to the bottom of the cage when there is a plastic tray outside the door :lol: ) so you have a couple of options, put another litter tray near their house or remove the plastic tray. To be honest, removing the plastic trays would be more beneficial to them, replace with flat hammock and ropes.

It may take them some time to get used to you, removing their house and any other closed tubes/houses will get them used to you quicker. Also, it is a good thing to wear a dressing gown or hoody, pop them in there and watch tv for 20 minutes or sit in a rat proof room with them, they will soon get used to you. :luck:
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am

Yep, totally agree.

Flat shelves do nothing for rats really, so providing an active layout that they climb around will keep them fit and stimulated, and an 'en suite' next to a favourite sleeping place will get used well. :luck:

Davegorwill

Post by Davegorwill » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 am

Okay hanks for relies , so I will take both levels out and get more ropes etc and that will just leave ground floor for them and hopefully will encourage them to wee downstairs.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I would add a second toilet next to their favourite sleeping place (usually the highest hammock) - or they will just use their bed. ;)

Davegorwill

Post by Davegorwill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I’ve looked around and can’t see anything I can clip onnto the cage high enough up, I can find shelf’s but all they seem to do is weenon the shelf instead?

I can make something but don’t know where to start

ScissorCrow

Post by ScissorCrow » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:02 pm

I bought a Shower corner shelf from wilkos like this one and cable tied it to the cage upside down and that works as a mini shelf that just fits a corner toilet on. The toilet is secured by a clip to the cage bars so they don't tip it over.

If you're struggling to imagine what I mean I can take a picture!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am

These should all work fine:

toilet corner with hooks from ebay

toilet corner on clips from rat rations

hanging plant pot from Wilko

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Ooh, I like those plant pots :)
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:58 am

Me too - but unfortunately they seem mostly sold out. I've got some black ones reserved to pick up, but I would have loved the purple ones!

Davegorwill

Post by Davegorwill » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone, they all seem a bit nervy still but two out of 3 are starting to be curious when cage door is open, however the third girl which is the biggest is very very timid and will just stay in her hammock and when we get her out she is very very skittish, even if we let them have a run around she will find the fur fest space and hide.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:33 am

Have you been spending 20+ minutes per day with her in your clothing as Caza66 suggested? That is the best way to get a rat used to you and to accept you as a safe place rather than a danger.

Davegorwill

Post by Davegorwill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am

Yep, but so hard to handle as constantly trying to get out of our hands,

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 am

But if they are between your layers of clothing then you aren't trying to keep them in your hands. ;)

If you are struggling to get them out of the cage in the first place, then tempt them into a tube or bag to lift them out in.

Return to “Behaviour”