Overly dominant rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
mahiyu

Overly dominant rat

Post by mahiyu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:30 am

Hi

I adopted four male rats a couple of months ago - Cayden, Connor, Cooper and Colin. I'm not sure exactly how old they are but they were small - I would say 2-3 months at the time I adopted them, so 4-5 months now.

Connor, Cooper and Colin get on fine, but Cayden is overly dominant - if he encounters his brothers outside the cage he chases them, trying to corner them, and they often end up either running into the cage and hiding, or running to me for "protection" and sitting on my shoulder. He doesn't tend to hurt them, so I don't think it's aggression as such, but they are always on edge around him when he's awake and active.

I say they're on edge when he's awake and active because Connor and Colin will happily cuddle up with him when he's asleep. Cooper is less likely to - he seems to dislike Cayden - but I do sometimes see them in the same hammock (I think Cayden sneaks in when Cooper's asleep).

He's noticeably bigger than the others - he looks heavier set than them - so my gut feeling is that he's grown faster than them and has a bit too much testosterone going on!

Is there anything I can do (short of having Cayden neutered) to help them settle down?

Many thanks for any help.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Overly dominant rat

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 am

I would go ahead and neuter him, it doesn't sound like anyone is happy as things are, so there's no point in letting the behaviour continue.

Return to “Behaviour”