Newbie rat owner concerns

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Lorns1706

Newbie rat owner concerns

Post by Lorns1706 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi,

I'm just looking for a little bit of advice. I have just gotten two 9 week old bucks from a pet shop. They seemed well handled and quite calm when we first met them and they had only been on display for a matter of hours.

We've had them in the cage at home for 3 days now and I have started trying to familiarise myself to them using a method recommended a lot online which involves offering them food out out of my hands. They seem to be getting more confident already. But today I've had some trouble with both of them nibbling my fingers quite firmly but not drawing blood. Is this because I smell like food? And them only associating my hand with treats? It's making me feel quite nervous and I'm not sure how to proceed for here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pirate

Re: Newbie rat owner concerns

Post by Pirate » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:54 pm

If it's not hurting I wouldn't worry. Lots of my rats have nibbled my fingers to check whether it was food or not, and also nibble my hands to groom them, and none of them ever bit me hard enough to draw blood or anything.

If it is hurting or you are still worried about getting bitten, you could try offering foods on the palm of your hand so that they don't associate your fingertips with treats, or stop hand feeding them altogether and try to offer them foods on a spoon or something.
Ben

Past: Bebop, Rocksteady, Charlie, Fudge, Zeke, Icarus, Tobias, Bacchus, Hugo, Diego, Tristan, Noah, Isaac, Ace, Spooky, Carlo, Jimbo, Caspian, Rufus.
Present: None at the moment due to space and allergies.

Return to “Behaviour”