Help

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Lukanka

Help

Post by Lukanka » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:00 am

I adopted 2 female 6 weeks old rats 2 weeks ago.They arent used to handling at all,and one of them spent her first 3 days outside of the cage,and into my couch,because she ran away.Yesterday i moved them to a new wonderful big cage,and i tried my best to make it comfy and fun,but both decided that this isnt their home,and ran away,and are now roaming freely in my room (which i have sufficiently rat proofed so they wouldnt hurt themselves),but both are extremely skittish,and go to the cage only to have some water,steal some food,and hide it inside the couch or behind the dresser,which im guessing they claimed as their home.When in the cage,we bonded a little bit,they have let me touch them,and ate food out of my hands and fingers,but now that they are out,they run from me like it's their own doom coming for them and would not come out even for food.I need some advice on how to get them into the cage again,so we can build some trust,before i let them free roam again.Actually any advice will suffice,as right now we are sharing the same room,and im just leaving food at the cage so they wont starve,but we never see each other.They come out roaming at night,but run as hell if i move or offer them food.HELP

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Help

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm

To catch them, you may be able to tempt them into a long tube (put some smell food halfway along it), and then block both ends. Alternatively, shepherd them into a corner, blocking off their escape routes as you go, and then once it's just you and them in a small space, either pick them up or encourage them into a container e.g. a carrier, tube, or pouch.

I would suggest you 'tame' them before giving them a full sized cage. Their temporary set up should have a large door so you can get both hands in to pick them up, and furnish it sparsely with only open items so they can't hide away.

Get them out at least once a day and take them somewhere secure like a bathroom or cupboard, where you can easily retrieve them if they manage to get off you. Wear a loose outer layer of clothing such as a hoody or dressing gown, pop them inside and either stand (if using a belt) or sit on a chair for a minimum of 20 minutes at a time. Slip your hand in with them and stroke/massage them gently, while talking or singing to them. After several days, you should begin to see an improvement, and they may start to take a treat from you.

Don't consider full free range until they are keen to come to you, and then only free range them in spaces you can retrieve them from easily, such as a hallway.

Lukanka

Re: Help

Post by Lukanka » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 am

Thank you for the responce :) I have managed to lure them into the cage with food and closing the door after them.I have removed all "furniture" that they could hide in,like tubes and such,and we are now getting used to each other trough the cage door.I will wait for any type of free ranging,until they actually let me pick them up.Thanks again!

Return to “Behaviour”