Sudden change in behaviour

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Bubbs_1987

Sudden change in behaviour

Post by Bubbs_1987 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi all, I have had my gorgeous male rats (Pixi & Jasper) for about 4 weeks now and everything has been great. They both came as a pair in the sense that they were snuggled up together when I viewed them and as such decided to keep them together. Jasper is about 8 months old & Pixi is about 1 year. They sleep & eat together & of course play fight, often instigated by Jasper who is like an excitable little kitten at times.

However, I got home from an evening out last night to find that Jasper was a shadow of his former self. He seemed scared, he wouldn't interact with me, he wouldn't interact with Pixi, he wouldn't even accept his favourite treat which he usually goes crazy for. Unfortunately, it has been more of the same today. I have got both of them out of the cage & usually they would run around, climb all over me etc but instead Jasper has dived under the cushions, looking very anxious & not even wanting to interact with Pixi. He is also pooing a lot, almost out of nervousness.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know what the possible causes could be & whether there's anything that I could do to help the situation?

[cub]

Re: Sudden change in behaviour

Post by [cub] » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:12 pm

If he's actually scared then he's probably been spooked by something. Rats generally have excellent senses of hearing and smell and things that we wouldn't notice can affect them. It's not terribly unusual to have one affected and not the other either; sometimes one of them is just more prone to nerves. Do give him a thorough check for injuries though, in case it's something more medical in nature. If you don't know how to do a health check there's a guide to it over here: http://www.isamurats.co.uk/health-checking.html
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Bubbs_1987

Re: Sudden change in behaviour

Post by Bubbs_1987 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Many thanks for your response. Actually the smell theory is ringing true with me. He wee'd on the sofa so cleaned it using an upholstery shampoo & some spray. It was more or less round about the time that I let him go on the sofa again that I noticed the change. I wonder whether the smell now on the sofa has affected him. Poor little thing!

Return to “Behaviour”