New companions or not?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Noxid82

New companions or not?

Post by Noxid82 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 am

Morning all, I’m looking for some advice as to the best course of action for my lone boy :(

Unfortunately, two of my boys died over Christmas with respiratory related issues. I now have a 17month old boy all on his own. I’d like to get companions for him but I have the following concerns... firstly Gus carries mycoplasma so suffers with his chest and I’d be concerned about infecting new little ones. Secondly, I had to have Gus neutered in the summer due to some problems with territorial aggression so I don’t know how well he would respond to new introductions. He doesn’t show any signs of aggression now though.

I hate the thought of him living on his own for what could be upwards of a year... does anyone have any thoughts or advice they could offer??

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New companions or not?

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:39 pm

He should definitely have rat companions asap, no rat should live on their own.
All rats have myco, so don't worry about him infecting them.

Since he is neutered, you have the option of introducing rats of either sex which should speed up your search.
You could look for a couple of kittens, but introduce them when they are big enough to defend themselves if necessary - 10 or 11 weeks is usually a good age.
Or you could try an intro with a couple of adult girls - a good rescue will be able to help you test whether he'll accept them, and take them back if he won't.

If you say roughly whereabouts you are in the country, then we may be able to suggest some options. :luck:

Noxid82

Re: New companions or not?

Post by Noxid82 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reassurance Mary. I’m Brighton-based so anywhere you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Claire x

Return to “Behaviour”