New owner advice on out of cage

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
tubaboya

New owner advice on out of cage

Post by tubaboya » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Hi, I recently got 2 baby girls and they are very friendly and tame. They both come to the cage door when called and happily run out up my arm and all over me. They will sit on my shoulders for a good while even as I'm moving about.
The problem I've got is I would like to let them roam about the livingroom ( already rat proofed it ) but every time I put the on the floor they just hide and/or continually clean themselves.
In the cage they are very playful and will play with my hand, string, little balls etc but won't even look at them on the floor, they also very rarely eat on the floor (although will eat anything I give them when they are running about on me)
I tried making a smaller area out of boxes for them. I also tried taking away any hideyholes but then they just cower in the litter tray so I started putting them back out. I've taken them out for at least 30 minutes twice a day for 2 weeks and there is no improvement in how they behave on the floor.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong or should I just keep continuing doing it and they will eventually get used to it.

[cub]

Re: New owner advice on out of cage

Post by [cub] » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 am

Do you sit with them when they're out on the floor? Try sitting with them in a smaller area if you haven't already. Maybe put something from the cage in their playpen area while they're there as well. It'll smell very different from their usual space so that's likely to be why they're wary.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

tubaboya

Post by tubaboya » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 am

Hi, yes I sit with them. I did try sitting on the couch instead once but didn't make a difference. They will sometimes run up onto my shoulders if I pick up their house but then they just stay there unless I lift them back to the floor.
I take a litter tray, water bowl, their wooden house and fleece tent from the cage.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

If they're happy to sit on you, just have them on you, sit on the floor with a book or a video or something, and see if they start exploring in their own time. Maybe they will, or maybe they'll stay on you and you'll just have a nice bonding session with them; either way it's still good.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

tubaboya

Post by tubaboya » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Ok thanks will just continue on and hope they get over it soon

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am

Honestly, if it's only been a couple weeks, give them time, particularly if they're not from good breeder lines. Getting them comfortable with human contact is usually the hard part (and the more important part IMO, since that allows you to do health checks, medicate them, etc.) so if they've already gotten that sorted I wouldn't worry too much about the rest.

Return to “Behaviour”