Rat shows need to escape

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Starikuu

Rat shows need to escape

Post by Starikuu » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm

I got two lovely rat boys a couple weeks ago and they're 11 weeks and 4 days now. They've settled down together in the cage and I take them out to play as often as I can, but one of them, Quill, is showing no interest in hanging out with me and has a constant need to find a way to escape and run off.
His brother Wilbur enjoys sitting on my lap and runs around me, but I always have to chase after Quill and catch him before he ends up somewhere dangerous.

Is there anything that I've done wrong that has influenced his behaviour? My dad is saying that he's just a wild rat, but I've seen both parents and they're tame fancy rats

[cub]

Re: Rat shows need to escape

Post by [cub] » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:58 am

Wanting to run off and explore is 100% normal behaviour for a rat, particularly for youngsters. Make a high-walled playpen (you may need it to be as much as 1m high) and sit in it with them, or rat-proof a small room (bathrooms often work well, just make sure there's no way to e.g. get under the bathtub) and let them out there.

A rat wanting to spend lots of time on you is not actually all that common; I'd say that it's Wilbur who's the slightly unusual one. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Behaviour”