Are my rats playing or fighting?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Branston+pickles

Are my rats playing or fighting?

Post by Branston+pickles » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm

So I've had branston and pickles for 3 months now, got them from the same cage at pets at home when they were 12 weeks old. Both full males. When they are in their cage they are always snuggling together but as soon as I let them out for play time they are constantly fighting and squeaking. They box, branston kicks, they chase each other and always pin each other down. I let them out for an hour minimum a day, they have plenty of toys to play with in and out the cage. It seems to be getting more and more common now, just worried in case they arent actually getting along?

(Its not the entire time they are out but I'd say they spend a good 20 mins doing this)
Thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Are my rats playing or fighting?

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 am

It is natural for rats to playfight, it helps them to work out a hierarchy, but it is possible that they will develop hormonal aggression when they hit teenage, and it's hard for us to tell whether that's the case with yours.

Have a read through this thread that I've just commented on.

I would also recommend that you consider getting a couple of buck kittens from a good breeder soon to form a group of 4, because that will help to diffuse any potential friction, as well as giving them more varied relationships which is an important part of rat life. They are after all colony animals, and a pair is not a colony. :luck:

Branston+pickles

Re: Are my rats playing or fighting?

Post by Branston+pickles » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep an eye on it, I think the fact they always go to bed together and cuddle up quite happily that it must just be play. I think they probs just get a bit hyper during their time out of the cage too, it never appears to get nasty and once a few squeaks have happened they both stop. Boys will be boys I guess haha!

Return to “Behaviour”